Last of 2014's birds

Making a little pheasant curry with the last of the 2014 birds. Gonna have to break into this year's birds for the next meal with pheasant

You are missing out when you don't eat birds the same day killed (or a day or two after, but never frozen).

Those are good. I usually do that once or twice a year. Most generally with cream gravy and biscuits. However, that isn't practical most of the time. Since I retired ten years ago, I put 90-100 birds in the freezer each fall. This year 137 so far. No ND doesn't have a freezer possession limit.

Not a problem if you freeze your birds properly. I refer you to the thread on bird freezing where several good ideas are presented.:cheers:

Vacuum sealed and frozen properly most birds will last 2 years (probably longer) and still be fine to eat. But cubing up fresh pheasant with a little onion and mushrooms and frying in butter ... yum. Similar to walleye shore lunch.

Unless you are on a limited budget and "survive" on wild game, do you ever think about sharing ?

Landowners, neighbors, relatives, friends (many times older people no longer hunt because of physical limitations - they especially enjoy), church or local sportsman club game feeds ?

I know for myself - I definitely need to learn to share more ... rather than donating old meat for local animal consumption.

By choice, we rarely buy meat. Once or twice a year unless you count getting some pork for fat for venison or pheasant sausage.

That being said. Friends, family, and landowners get all the roosters they want. Well, except my one sister who would gladly take them all... :)

Back