Land

turns56

I hunt a few railroad tracks in the central zone but I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere else. Where you can get out of the car and take the shotgun out of the case and walk without being bothered.

Turns56, I feel your pain with this one. The only public places I know of in our area are put and take (like Channel lakes state park). Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
On the brighter side, to help bring some relief this issue, my Pheasants forever Chapter along with other N. IL Chapters are acquiring around 100 Acores a year in N. IL. These lands will be turned over to prime habitat and then open to the public. Doesn't sound like much but in 10 years we should have around 1,000 Acores opened up. Hopefully it will just keep on growing from there.
Also, we have worked with the McHenry County Conservation Dis. (with help from DNR) to open up many of their lands for hunting. You have to go through some hoops at first, but you will then be good to go hunting on certain lands. I'm working on the pheasant hunting issues with them and not really getting anywhere. It's really unfortunate because they have some great bird numbers on some of their lands. But deer, ducks, and geese are open in areas. Hope this helps. 1Pheas4

1pheas4,

I participate in the McHenry County Conservation District's waterfowl hunts. I'd love to be able to hunt pheasant that close to home... I'm not sure how, but if you need ANY assistance in working with the District on possible pheasant opportunities, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

1pheas4,

I participate in the McHenry County Conservation District's waterfowl hunts. I'd love to be able to hunt pheasant that close to home... I'm not sure how, but if you need ANY assistance in working with the District on possible pheasant opportunities, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks much Pccraig. I'll keep in touch with you. I really don't understand why the County Conservation Dept. is so against the pheasant hunting. I've seen plenty pheasants on our county lands, especially the one's I used to hunt and then they bought. If you have anything else on this subject start a new thread or just email me in my personal email. I think we've stolen this thread. Sorry. :eek: ---1pheas4

I remember in the 80's and early to mid 90's my dad taking me out to hunt railroads. Great pheasant hunting! All railroads I've hunted in the past are posted now, yet I see guys still hunting them once in a while. I'm not sure what the rules/laws are on railroads but I'm going to look into it.

how often and where do you folks from McHenry Co meet? Is this a PF chapter?

Once a month Oct-Dec
Twice a month jan
every week (sometimes more) feb-to weeks prior to banquet

Note UplandHntr; the majority of these meetings are for preparing the fundraising banquets. After the banquet, funds are dispersed were needed the most. Most habitat work is done in the spring i.e. burning, tilling, Herbiside, planting etc. :)

still at the Holiday Inn Woodstock?

The banquet is at the Holiday Inn in Crystal Lake. If you interested in going to the banquet you can email me your name and address in my personal messages and I'll pass the info onto the commitee.:thumbsup:

If you want to go to the meetings your more than welcome to come.

If you want to help out I could REALLY use the help with promotions:eek: when the time comes--1pheas4

Back