Lab vs Chesapeake for pheasants

Ben123

I would be interested in comments on how Chesapeakes compare to labs for pheasant hunting. I understand that with poor breeding or training, any dog is mediocre to worthless. But, assuming good breeding and good training, how does hunting with a Chesapeake compare with a lab? Thanks.

If started young

on quartering and with birds I have trained a few chessies that were decent upland dogs , I have found if you do the waterfowl stuff first and then go back and train for upland it makes it more difficult. I trained a chessy lab mix one time that was a real nice upland dog but thats all she was trained for.very loyal dogs

My second retriever was a chessie. Loved the dog. They have a little different disposition than a labrador. Not bad, just different. My chessie was the second best pheasant dog I've ever hunted over. Second only to my now, old Vizsla.

I swear that the Chessie I had would hunt anything I wanted him too. I don't think you would be disappointed in a Chessie at all. Just make sure with whatever dog you get you pay for some good breeding. It's a crap shoot with any pup but with good breeding its a little less of one.

Back