Lab Breeder - Dallas area

Serious the dark dogs won't take the Texas sun like the lighter haired dogs. Could be a cause and effect type thing.

I have seen the strongest prey drive in a chocolate lab. One that had the curly coat like a Chesapeake. Heat was only thing that could hold him back.
Excellent point. I know people will say, "Well, I have/had a black lab, and the sun doesn't bother her." But it sure AFFECTS her. It's an indisputable fact that dark colored dogs absorb more sun (& therefore heat) than light colored ones. Advantageous when you're stranded on the snowy tundra & it's -20F. Disadvantageous when you're hunting pheasants above 45-50F. They don't handle it as well.

Excellent point. I know people will say, "Well, I have/had a black lab, and the sun doesn't bother her." But it sure AFFECTS her. It's an indisputable fact that dark colored dogs absorb more sun (& therefore heat) than light colored ones. Advantageous when you're stranded on the snowy tundra & it's -20F. Disadvantageous when you're hunting pheasants above 45-50F. They don't handle it as well.
I've owned female black labs as light as 44 pounds and as heavy as upper 60s.
Those larger labs were better for cold Alaska duck hunts while smaller labs were better for long days in hot upland hunting.
Also a lab that is in shape and hunts every day in the uplands will handle heat
much better than a fat lab that is not physically fit.
hot_dog.jpg

Back