Kansas Roads?

basspow

Tell me about traveling the wet Kansas dirt roads. I will have along a long towstrap just in case. Do area conditions differ?:cheers:

From my experience it really depends from location to location and year to year. Some areas have more dependable/durable gravel roads than others. However trying to access remote land right after a heavy snow has melted has been difficult the past couple years where we go...hopefully the snow will just stick around for our trip out this season!

Tell me about traveling the wet Kansas dirt roads. I will have along a long towstrap just in case. Do area conditions differ?

Ha â?? part of the challenge and the adventure. I've felt lucky to have not left an axle at the bottom of some of the pot holes . . . ones that have popped up when it was do-or-die, too late to stop.

Conditions do vary: North Central and Northeast Kansas can offer up some very sticky, slippery-when-wet clay. South Central surprised me with some dry sand that wouldn't be out of place on a Texas Gulf of Mexico beach.

Later, there's snow, (and, yes, it's possible to get stuck in four wheel drive . . . um, from what I hear.)

28l7te1.jpg

(No, I didn't shoot the sign. That kind of shittiness threatens our hunting privileges.)

34s0876.jpg

23uskcx.jpg

123615h.jpg

24dr37n.jpg

yes it is possible to get stuck in a 4 wheel drive! (i wouldnt know from experience either lol)

Two times to be careful. After they have graded if there is a wind row along the edge if you get it in going very fast you will lose control and hope you are buckled in tightly. The snow in the ditches will fool you and if you pull off to the side you can go out of sight and can cause some bigtime problems. I was pulling a trailer and got off the side and ended up-----well let's put it this way, I had to trade pick ups to get home.

Kansas roads

Road issues -a lot of the "locals" drive quite fast on those roads - be careful

keep your dogs under control and away from the roads

Bought a 4wd pickup in 2003, have hunted 2-3 times per year in western Kansas for pheasants since then, can't remember ever having to hit the 4x4 button once.

Do remember times that it 4wd was a requirement though, and even then there were a few times that chains were needed to be pulled out. All depends on how the weather hits.

I got on 1 road last year near Hill City after several days of soaking rain. I was pulling a light dog trailer. Had to undo trailer and drive to next intersection just to turn around and come back to pick trailer up. The truck stayed in the ditch more than it did out of the ditch. All of this was with 4 wheel drive. Truck just seemed to drift toward ditch because of crown in the road. The road was a black type clay... the tires didn't sink down into the clay they just sat up on top of the clay and spun!!!! I live in Georgia and I am used to red clay, but this stuff was more like the white Kaolin type mud we have in some spots in GA. No traction..... NO GO!!!!!!!!!

It all depends. Location,Location,Location. A friend of mine farms out toward Colby-Brewster and there are spots that are only maintained by the local farmers so be carefull when the weather gets bad. It,s always nice to have a friend as a farmer with a big tractor!!!

Back