Kansas quail opener

Anybody go quail hunting today? I went back home (N of Emporia) and saw 1 covey of about 15 birds, on private ground that we've hunted for many years. I shot 2 birds and left them alone. I know other groups will not be so generous. We hunted about 3 more 1/4 sections in the area that had real nice cover. We didn't see another bird in the next 4 hours of walking. Quail hunting was a disaster today! I think I'll head to NC KS for 2 hours of pheasant hunting tomorrow. I hope to see some quail there. I know it is going to be hot by noon; I'll be on my way home. Hope to hear of better success! I truly enjoy good quail hunting; now, if I could just find some birds! Am I going to have to pay for decent quail hunting?

well as we all know quail hunting is nothing like it used to be here in kansas. its really spotty. i don't know where you would pay to get good wild bird quail hunting. so i wouldn't count on that. I think you just got to move on to new areas if your hunting spot isn't good. the more time you put into it the better off you'll be. try to hunt as many new areas as you can and you'll find the birds somewhere. if you read the quail report on the KDWP website, they should give you a good idea of where bird numbers are up in kansas. good luck and let us know wut you find.

too warm for me

I went quail hunting (outdoor excercising) locally instead, due to the warm conditions. I'll get out there soon and get a report back to those who are interested. I've again scheduled a hunt out there for this weekend, but the weather isn't going to be much better. I'll be driving 2 hours, hunting 2 hours or until I start feeling too warm. Something about being hot while bird hunting doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind being hot while I'm fishing, but the heat puts me in a sour mood when chasing birds.

I was not able to hunt the quail opener, but the boys did and limited out on Saturday. On Sunday, we went out for a few hours before they had to return to their homes. I carried my shotgun, but only shot my camera.

Maynard Reece
Dodge City

quail #'s may be on the rebound

While deer hunting in my stand i had observed many quail around manhattan comming and going in the archery season. In the last 2 years i have noticed an explosion of quail from their previous #'s. before you couldn't find them anywhere but now they give me a heartattack every time i step into some tall grass. most of my deer hunting land around Onaga has crp around it and there are many quail talking in the early morning. i went out for the last hour of the day north of manhattan and with my old single shot 20 ga. I took 2 quail out of a group of 50. i have observed many groups with 8-20 quail but if you go to any of the public land around manhattan you will find all that you need. (tuttle creek)

Kansasbrittany, if you want to pay to hunt, I'd suggest Mid America Hunting Assoc. I've been a member of about every hunting club that leases land in the midwest and they are by far the best. The owner John Knee is an avid bird hunter and he knows what to look for when he leases land. One club I belonged to the owner never hunted a day in his life and the land he leased proved it. (kinda hard for a quail to hide in a cow pasture) I have access to around 220,000 acres in Kansas, Missouri and Iowa. Some of the land they lease is for deer and duck hunting but the majority of it holds quail and or pheasant. I hunt about 20 to 24 times a year so I get my moneys worth out of it. They lease quite a bit of land in Kiawa county, has anybody hunted around there?

Back