Kansas Hail Map

rsm

Tossed this together from the Hail reports (www.cocorahs.org). Some people might find it helpful when planning a trip. Darker areas represent more hail, green areas less.

Any field knowledge of hail and pheasant numbers in the Hill City / Wakeeney area would be appreciated....

Estimated Number of Hail Events (March - Sept 2008)
DWA_Hail.jpg

Hail Map Terrific

thank you for posting the map. very nice.

I noticed a lot of the flinthills area of the state is green on your map, but I think that hunters may find a ton of cover on the ground. The ice storms last winter pretty well devastated many of the trees, and although we may not have had very many hail storms, the ones we had were really bad. Everybody in my neighborhood had to replace their roofs, and we had thousands of dollars worth of damage to our vehicles. Then there was the tornado that went along I-70 and up through Manhattan...

The WIHA and Public Hunting that I've hit in the Manhattan area is full of downed trees and big brush piles. I can't say what this will mean for the pheasants, but I think the quail had a very successful year with all the new cover on the ground. I think the survival rate of their offspring was very high in the areas that I have walked so far this year. I'm sure the frequent rains and tall grass have helped too. The wild grasses and plants look like they produced a lot of seed this year.

I just thought I would mention that in case anybody plans to do a combo pheasant/quail hunt in the flinthills area. Be prepared for more quail than you have seen in recent years, and the ground cover is THICK.

Questions on your map...

Thanks for posting the map. Nice planning tool!

A couple questions....

1. Did you have to create the map yourself, or is it available somewhere on the site you ref? (sounds like you may have built it yourself... and I could not find something similar on that site.)

2. On the color coding.. you mention that the dark areas are more hail and the green area is less, but, on my pc, the colors appear as dark green, light green, yellow, tan and pink.

Would you please clarify which of those colors are likely the most vs the least hail. The largest area, in case it helps, is dark green on my pc.

Thanks...

Yep made it myself. I took the hail reports and summarized them by the number of hail events and then ran a quick predictive function on the data - inverse distance weighting.

So darker areas represent areas with more hail events. Dark green areas equal at least one event. Light Green equals 2 events. Yellow areas 3 events and so on. Yellow red are areas with the greatest number of events.

It’s a prediction based on 98 weather station observations so some error likely exists but it gives a general idea of areas with more hail.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, that helps.

Not to nit-pick, because I really do like your map... but just to avoid confusion for others..

You say Dark areas represent more hail events and that dark green is at least one event and light green is at least two... seems like, in the green shades anyway, that lighter means more and darker means less.

In the other yellow and red shades, darker does mean more.

Maybe it is just a matter of how the colors look on your system vs mine. On mine, the dark green is the darkest color on the map, which, if I understand your last statement correctly, is actually the smallest number of hail events?

When I first looked at the map, I thought the dark green areas had the most hail (just cuz it was the darkest color), which was most of the state and there was no point in going to Kansas, cuz all the birds would be dead!!

Now, I realize that dark green is the least hail events... and I am going to go!! :)

Thanks again...

Hey rsm,

Did you put together another hail map for this year? Thanks for the map last year, found it to be pretty valuable.

All the best,
Ron

Back