Kansas 08 Upland Regional Forecast

jdunn01

Anyone know when they publish the 08 forecast?

Looking to plan a hunt around Larned this year and interested in the pheasant population in the area as well as the WIHA around there

Not 100% sure but I think they will update all info after The Summer Brood Survey in Mid-July early August.

Anyone know when they publish the 08 forecast?

Looking to plan a hunt around Larned this year and interested in the pheasant population in the area as well as the WIHA around there

I have been told that there seeing good roadside bird numbers in and around that area

update on a small piece of almost SW KS

I have been told that there seeing good roadside bird numbers in and around that area

Just talked to my dad in the NE part of the SW region. He's planting milo right now. Has yet to harvest any wheat! It is too wet. The neighbors haven't cut any wheat yet either. Lots of bugs and lots of cover for the chicks. He saw a group of chicks crossing the road with their mother yesterday. They weren't very big and probably can't fly yet, but the good news is at least some of them are out of their nests and mobile. Proof that they didn't all drown or die in a hailstorm. He said he doesn't think the hail did enough damage to affect the birds. He said it didn't really do anything to the wheat and it wasn't busting windsheilds like it has been in our neck of the woods. Well, gotta go for now. Start making your plans to take a youth hunting during the season opener. DOG OWNERS, youth season is a great time to get the pooches out and get them in shape and in tune.

Last edited:
Talked with Greg with the Kansas Parks & Wildlife. He said that this year could be a record low for quail. The whistle count average per stop was 2 when the average for the past four years has been around 5. This is for the eastern 2/3. And Phez will be about the same as last year. But you really never know until you hit the fields with the dogs.. good luck to all:confused:

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Kansas pheasants and quail, not just yet anyway. There are a lot of weather related questions still to be answered. Some areas are flooded, some have really good moisture and some, like me are in severe drought. I am up to 6.10" for the year, but I am still seeing some pheasant and quail hatches.:thumbsup: The thing that has been troubling me some is the fact that there were still hen pheasants running around with rooster well after I thought they would be on nest and I am still seeing quail pairs running around together. Everytime I see them I say, "Aren't you supposed to be doing your thing and reproducing?" I hope they understand.

Here's hoping that there will be areas that are overflowing with birds.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

I am not ready to throw in the towel on Kansas pheasants and quail, not just yet anyway. There are a lot of weather related questions still to be answered. Some areas are flooded, some have really good moisture and some, like me are in severe drought. I am up to 6.10" for the year, but I am still seeing some pheasant and quail hatches.:thumbsup: The thing that has been troubling me some is the fact that there were still hen pheasants running around with rooster well after I thought they would be on nest and I am still seeing quail pairs running around together. Everytime I see them I say, "Aren't you supposed to be doing your thing and reproducing?" I hope they understand.

Here's hoping that there will be areas that are overflowing with birds.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Thanks for the update Maynard. I think it will be spotty, but it almost always is. We're going to enjoy the season better than the off-season either way. I'm still holding out some hope for decent populations of pheasants. I try not to think about the quail too much because I'm not so optimistic about their population rebounding. The habitat just isn't there in most areas. Lots of trees and grass has been taken out since the "good old days".

Back