Jim Zumbo Statement

burls

Did anyone hear about Outdoor Writer Jim Zumbo's statement over the weekend on the internet about Assault rifles and there use as hunting weapons? Basically he said he was more of a traditionalist and didnt see a place for assualt rifles in hunting. Well i guess the NRA got it's dander all up and now he has lost many of the sponsors from his hunting show.

All i have to say is that it is a real shame when a person like jim zumbo has something like this happen. I know Mr. Zumbo personally...his son used to work for me and I can tell you that he is a "salt of the earth" type person. He is a fine, polite, courteous, and graceous gentleman. He is also a very fine outdoor writer with alot of hunting experience and knowlegde. Now, if anyone thinks for a moment that the NRA didn't twist a few arms on this deal i would say your a little in the dark. I can almost guarntee you that the upper management of NRA got on the phone and made some calls. Having said that i will tell you i have always be very neutral when it comes to the NRA...i have never liked their stance on assualt weapons...but appreciated the efforts to protect the hunting hertiage we enjoy. I can tell you now..that after the dismantling of Jim Zumbo for speaking an opinion that others in the hunting community share...I'm not saying its the right opinion but one others share... I will never support thr NRA. I will support other orgainzations fighting to keep our hunting heritage. It will probably be a cold day in hell before i buy another Remington product also. I knnow it will seem like i am over reacting...but i can honestly say that Jim Zumbo is a fine gentleman and doesn't desevre this kind of treatment.

Hey guys, we've got a pretty spirited discussion going on over on PC.com regarding Jim Zumbo's comments. Most members who've posted on the subject seem to fall into one of two camps:

Camp#1 - Jim was railroaded by the NRA.
Camp#2 - Jim got what he deserved for the comments he made.

I fall into Camp#1. Where do the other UPH members fall? I see Tony and burls have already posted on this and appear to belong to Camp#1 as well.

JMB

Camp #2 Here......

Sorry guys, I think he got what was coming to him. A man with his knowledge and experience should have known better. I feel more then ever in this day in age we MUST stand together to support our rights. This subject has been beat to death on every other site and if for nothing else, it has educated many.

We Need to Stand Together

I always liked Jim's work but I don't agree with him. There are no "Bad" guns. What's next? "Sniper Rifles", "Automatic Shotguns", "High Powered Air Rifles (You can't have one in England). Once started, it never ends.

Stand Firm! All of us.

I wish he could change his mind on this but he has a right to his own ideas.

"You can walk on any bridge you want to if you are willing to pay the toll."

I'm in camp #2. I'm all for good natured fun (.45 vs 9mm, 16ga vs anything else, flies vs bait, etc) among ourselves. I don't hunt using dogs, but I wouldn't think of saying that using them should be banned. We need to have a unified front against all the antis who want to chip away our rights until we have none.
Zumbo went too far by calling those who use ARs "terrorists".
I notice the Brady Bunch was quick to point out how nobody needs those terrible assault weapons. How soon until they start complaining about "sniper rifles"?

Back