It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood!

HeavyC

With all the hype about the poor numbers and bad conditions, I was not expecting too much at all.

That is what I get for expecting anything eh!?!?!

What a glorious weather morning to start the season with!

And I sure picked the perfect field to start with as well! Even though the three pivots I started with had nearly 40 hunters and endless truck and shooting just like a range before I left the one half, of one pivot I hunted?.I still managed to get two in the vest, and could not find the third I dropped!!

Kiwi could not have been more happy to be out chasing these ditch chickens! What a good dog she was!

?and her son Tako was just as excited as she was and worked like a veteran at his ripe age of 19 months!

So I ended up missing on three roosters!!...saw 4 hens, saw two roosters I could not shoot at, and the one I hit but never found, along with the two in the bag?I have to say, what a great way to start the day!! 8 roosters and 4 hens out of only two pivot corners! ?so with that being said on how great a choice my first field was?I then headed to a nice big CRP I always tend to have decent luck at and normally do not see a hunter on as it is out of the way a spell. I hit it for the next 1.5 hours and the birds never even got birdy once!! Same with the next field too, not a single fast tail wag between them! The last field I hit to end my day, we did see one hen, and they got birdy once in a nice huge plum thicket. After near two hours of that field we called it quits for the day being very content with what we already had in the bag!!!

Did I mention how much I love my dogs?!?! Kiwidimok of The Wind, and her son Takoda of The Wind!

Congratulations! And great pictures...

Your opening morning sounded pretty much like mine last year. Two birds in the bag in the first 10 minutes or so.

We had a rough go this year, but still scratched a few down.

I, however, did not burn any powder. Still had a great time however. The sunset on Saturday was awesome!

Scott

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :coolpics:

Yellow lab out of a chocolate....I had a couple of litters back in the 90s. I had yellow and chocolate that I bred, however they produced all black...the yellow male didn't have chocolate genes and the choco female didnt' have yellow.

Was the father yellow?

Always good hunting with good dogs....makes the day that much better. I wouldn't upland or waterfowl if I didn't have dogs.

Looks like you had better luck than we did....however we are heading to KS in two weeks and things should be better.

Greg

Thanks!

The dad was a choco too...though both parents have yellow factoring. My dog came from a little with all three colors.

Thanks!

The dad was a choco too...though both parents have yellow factoring. My dog came from a little with all three colors.

You are welcome....I hunt with labs and have hunted upland and waterfowl with them since 1992.

I have two females, 3yr old yellow female and flusher and a 8 1/2yr old choco female and flusher.

I have a 17month old yellow male who is a pointing lab. He got his Certified Pointing Retriever title this summer. I didn't think labs could point, however he is as solid as any GSP I have hunted with :eek::10sign::thumbsup:

I am getting older and have a hard time keeping up with flushing dogs....however I love labs, so with a pointing lab you get the best of all worlds!!

Greg

Very nice! Mine stay under the gun for the most part, and listen to my whistles MOST of the time...so for now I can still keep up ok.:D

You must be younger and better than me ;):p

I just think it is good having a dog with ya hunting....finding downed birds and just out in the field to hunt with.

Greg

For me, that is second greatest thing on earth! Watching these bird dogs do their stuff is only second to a baby laughing!:thumbsup:

I need your training regiment for your brown dog she looks like all muscle idl I've mine to look like that.

LOL! She's a bit overweight right now too! ...all thanks to her lazy owner!:eek:

Though normally they get lots and lots of balls and frisbees along with their training dummies in the offseason. Then in August in the heat of the summer I start them on two a days! Light easy workouts, but some in the heat of the day for a few minutes. Long breaks with tons of water and it is amazing how much it has seemed to help them. She's 5 now, and just beginning to slow down, but she can sure go all day still.

LOL! She's a bit overweight right now too! ...all thanks to her lazy owner!:eek:

Though normally they get lots and lots of balls and frisbees along with their training dummies in the offseason. Then in August in the heat of the summer I start them on two a days! Light easy workouts, but some in the heat of the day for a few minutes. Long breaks with tons of water and it is amazing how much it has seemed to help them. She's 5 now, and just beginning to slow down, but she can sure go all day still.

For labs, the best way to get them in shape in swimming, lots of it. Most, if not all labs, love the water. It is non impact and just like for people, it is really good cardio and builds muscle and burns calories.

I run field trials/hunt tests etc, so I am training my dogs all year around mostly.

Water work is the best though. Just make sure the water isn't stagnant, water entry is clear of obstacles and also other hazards (fishing line, hooks) and other peoples dogs and such....

Greg

For labs, the best way to get them in shape in swimming, lots of it. Most, if not all labs, love the water. It is non impact and just like for people, it is really good cardio and builds muscle and burns calories.

I run field trials/hunt tests etc, so I am training my dogs all year around mostly.

Water work is the best though. Just make sure the water isn't stagnant, water entry is clear of obstacles and also other hazards (fishing line, hooks) and other peoples dogs and such....

Greg

Great advice! Yes, mine are two big ol fish as well! Cannot keep them out of the water if it is around!...sure hope I never get too close to a sewage pond!:eek: Especially in the heat of the summer, they get rewarded every chance I can to go for a nice cooling swim.

Back