It Was a Good One

mnmthunting

Banned
My Montana Trip.
Friday got a limit of ducks including 3 green heads and a couple brown ones. :eek:Plus a couple Huns.
Saturday (pheasant opener) went off a ways to get away from the crowds. Passed on young roosters, got 2 with good color but had to settle for a young one late in the day to get the limit. Pheasant camp meat:)
Changed locations Sunday, It was to easy:) all big birds with full color.
Monday a windy day, did some exploring, got into a area with some old "long Spurs" Took some hard hunting to get my birds.
Tues a early limit of colorful roosters and a couple green heads.
With a possession limit of big roosters and tired of Pheasant camp meat (for now) I'm home.

Next Trip, Oct 18th.:cheers:

Glad somebody was successful. All I got was two porcupines. I had a bad feeling about how the day was going to be when I flushed out a coyote instead of rooster right of the bat. Had seen birds there last year but didn't see anything on Sat, not even a hen. We'll hit some different spots this weekend and hopefully our luck changes.

Last edited:
I saw numerous coyotes. Made me wished I had packed my varmit rifle.:mad:

I hear ya. Even if I had brought a rifle, I doubt I would of gotten a shot, was too far from the truck. I contemplated using my pistol, but it was too long of a shot.

My Montana Trip.
Friday got a limit of ducks including 3 green heads and a couple brown ones. :eek:Plus a couple Huns.
Saturday (pheasant opener) went off a ways to get away from the crowds. Passed on young roosters, got 2 with good color but had to settle for a young one late in the day to get the limit. Pheasant camp meat:)
Changed locations Sunday, It was to easy:) all big birds with full color.
Monday a windy day, did some exploring, got into a area with some old "long Spurs" Took some hard hunting to get my birds.
Tues a early limit of colorful roosters and a couple green heads.
With a possession limit of big roosters and tired of Pheasant camp meat (for now) I'm home.

Next Trip, Oct 18th.:cheers:

Think I saw you Friday evening in Homestead driving by my buddys parents home.....we were the guys working on the airseeder. Then think I saw you again Camped Sat. night and Sunday morning on some block management just south of my friends farm across from twin lakes. We would have been to the north of you about a mile, think you were getting ready to head out when we drove by sunday morning to get breakfast in Froid, we were driving the white GMC Crew cab with topper. Surprised you did that well there on sunday, that block was hammered Saturday, we saw 3 differnt groups go thru it before 10 in the morning. Was a great opener....

Think I saw you Friday evening in Homestead driving by my buddys parents home.....we were the guys working on the airseeder. Then think I saw you again Camped Sat. night and Sunday morning on some block management just south of my friends farm across from twin lakes. We would have been to the north of you about a mile, think you were getting ready to head out when we drove by sunday morning to get breakfast in Froid, we were driving the white GMC Crew cab with topper. Surprised you did that well there on sunday, that block was hammered Saturday, we saw 3 differnt groups go thru it before 10 in the morning. Was a great opener....

Yup, I did go through Homestead Fri eve. I was looking at all the Town Pheasants! yes I remember seeing some guys working on a seeder.
I hunted a few miles South on the opener to get away from the crowds, not a lot of birds there but enough.
I knew that area Where I was at Sunday had a lot of pheasants before season and also knew it would get hit hard on the opener. But I also knew that many of the pheasants would be safe in that high stubble. Anyway I got a nice double about an hour into the hunt and my limit 15 minutes later.
Yes:) for sure! Having a good pup is the answer. :cheers:

Back