Iowa Roadside Survey

gimruis

The good news for me in NW IA, is that the Cottontails are up 65%!
Hope to still scare up a couple roosters.

Yup. As expected, anecdotally from what I've seen I'm surprised the counts aren't down even worse. Should still be some solid hunting, but if we have the kind of hunting pressure we saw last year, the roosters will be shot up in a hurry.

To be honest, not as bad as I was expecting. I do think the crops being harvested earlier this year will definitely help as well!

The Big Sioux and Little Sioux rivers had major flooding...we got lucky in my immediate area, the West Fork of the Little Sioux is closest to me, had the big rains just north of it's basin. We will be fine locally with numbers. I am not sure about the early harvest. The beans are starting to turn, so around the 1st of Oct they will be starting I will guess. Corn, my guess is they might let's that in the field until it drys down to close to 16% as with the low prices, they won't want to erode profits further buying propane or getting docked for the moisture. It will be a huge crop locally, that will help offset the low price.

Crops are similar here in MN from what I've seen too. Most beans are still dark green, a few just now starting to turn. They won't be harvested until a month from now, at least. And corn is after that. Prices suck so there won't be any incentive to harvest either. As long as the weather remains mild, crops will remain standing for a couple months.

Back