Iowa Doves

BirdGuy

We'll be up at the lake this weekend in NW Iowa. I see a bunch of Iowa DNR managed dove fields up that way. Is it even worth packing the gun in the camper? Never hunted Iowa for doves being from Kansas.

Depends on the field and its proximity to towns. I usually hit a public plot in west central IA, visiting the in-laws for labor day. I am often the only one there. I believe too that it's in an area where guys are generally more focused on deer hunting. Maybe in the NW you have more upland focused hunters. I'd pack the gun tho, it's just dove.

It can be fun, but you wont do much "hunting" on opener in a public field. Everyone just sits on buckets or stands in the field and pass shoots at the birds. Dont get frustrated, youll see some crazy stuff. Youll see blackbirds, blue jays, finches, killeer, hawks all shot. Guys will be standing out in the open in blue jeans and a white shirt spooking all the birds, while shootint at them 50-80yds out. It just is what it is. If you can luck out and avoid these people it is fun.

Youll need to register for HIP online first before hunting dove.

Have had good success on the opener for doves. As mentioned above, will be a circus most likely. Best bet is to find a field that you have to work a little bit to get to - walk a bit, not right by the parking lot, etc. (most of your lazy hunters aren't willing to go very far). You should have plenty of action.

Yup thats what i was leaning towards. Staying away from the designated "dove plots" all together and just finding a spot "alone" where i can sit with the kids

Yup thats what i was leaning towards. Staying away from the designated "dove plots" all together and just finding a spot "alone" where i can sit with the kids

You can also let the kids sleep in a bit and go around 9am. A vast majority of the yahoos will be gone by then and youll often have a whole field to yourself soon after. The birds will fly all day on opener

Also, I've had a ton of luck on chopped corn fields if you can find any farmers that are cutting silage this early, they can be great.

Ended up on one of the DNR managed sunflower plots. We waited for a couple groups to leave before we headed in and had a great time. Lots of doves flying, only two other groups remained on the field and were far enough away they didnt bother us.

Back