Interesting Fun Fact Friday post on FB from PF

remy3424

I knew the hens needed calcuin for egg laying and knew they sought it out. I also assumed that if one lived in such an area where natural calcium was low, that one could improve this by adding crushed/pulverized limestone. Well, it seems that might not be the entire problem in those areas. If I could find someone locally with pulverized limestone, I would still add it to my gravel grit areas, just to help make sure they had less trouble finding the calcium.

Follow PF on FB and you get at least a weekly informative/interesting post from them.

A cool morning today, temp in the 50s! Season is not that far away!

1692019390526.png

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I started hunting often on private land in NW KS in the mid-90s and birds were abundant. Same fields today have very few birds. Would love to learn why this happened. Many drought years? Chemicals? Loss of cover? Bird flu? All combined? It's so disappointing.

If it were only due to the lack of calcium one could spread pulverized/crushed limestone with course sand for their grit. I didn't realize the areas associated with low calcium often have the other stuff that is toxic to them in the ground. I ask about getting limestone at the local gravel pit, they don't have it here. There must be enough naturally occurring in the road gravel here.

Wonder if there is anything guys can do in calcium poor areas to help the birds.
Yeah spray milk all over the place so rudy numbers will boom. Comeon man, theres no way you can compare two identical land pieces big enough to be meaningful, They don't exist identically when you think about on their own plus considering surrounding land. Have good habitat and it don't matter what the calcium level are.

If it were only due to the lack of calcium one could spread pulverized/crushed limestone with course sand for their grit. I didn't realize the areas associated with low calcium often have the other stuff that is toxic to them in the ground. I ask about getting limestone at the local gravel pit, they don't have it here. There must be enough naturally occurring in the road gravel here.

Hens will consume aquatic shells along the shores and slough edges (snails, primarily in this area) in preparation to nest.

in mn calcium chloride is put on gravel roads in spring in front of homesteads and intersections to keep dust down. be interesting to see how many hens are eating grit from those areas in front of homesteads and intersections. not certain on other state practices.

This Friday's PF Pheasant Fact Friday post...for those not on FB or don't currently follow PF.
1692374311116.png

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I started hunting often on private land in NW KS in the mid-90s and birds were abundant. Same fields today have very few birds. Would love to learn why this happened. Many drought years? Chemicals? Loss of cover? Bird flu? All combined? It's so disappointing.
Britt, the areas I hunt in Norton/Decatur counties have been the same for 20+ years. The constant element is none of it is farmed. It is all natural draws, etc. that never sees a plow. We do hunt some milo fields, etc. but they bump up to untamed lands.

Hens will consume aquatic shells along the shores and slough edges (snails, primarily in this area) in preparation to nest.
I have a friend that lives on Big Spirit Lake. Last winter, he said he had 50 pheasants daily that would feed on zebra mussels on the rocks as they became exposed when the snow melted off of them.

Back