Injured reserve... few videos

Shawk

Our 7 yr old pooch, Mia, is out of commission for a while after tangling with a fence last week. She thought she was ready to go as I strapped on my boots this morning but was left behind (as much as I hated closing the door on her as we left). Hopefully she'll be ready to go again in a week or two. So today I hit the road with just our pup (now 10 months). Good day... saw a few other roosters and a pretty good number of hens. Working on video settings still. I wish I could upload the same quality I'm looking at... they look much better than what you see uploaded. So anyway, here are a few from today and one from another hunt a couple weeks ago.

First bird today... quick shot as he was heading directly toward water that I wasn't interested in wading through if pup couldn't find him. ;) I tried to stay dry today, but in the end found myself in knee deep water more than once. Thankfully, temps were decent today.
I'm backing up in the video at the end as we're working on her retrieving which you can see were a partial fail... lol. She just flat out drops the bird as if to say, done, let's go already!

Second bird today...

Final bird of the day... he had his running shoes on and was the oldest of the 3...

Last video from a hunt when we had a little snow on the ground... most of us like to post our best pics, videos, shots ect. So I thought I'd post one that wasn't so great but worked out ok in the end. Showcases some really poor shooting on my end. I can't say that I've ever taken 4 shots at a bird... I've taken 3 before but it's been a long time if I've ever taken 4. I clipped this guy on my first shot, completely whiffed on the 2nd and 3rd but thankfully brought him down on the 4th. He was definitely out there by that point. To my surprise, he was absolutely dead as on retrieve. HORRIBLE, poor shooting... Clearly that last shot (or two) would not have never been taken had I not already clipped him. If range is any question at all for me, I always let birds fly.
(in fairness to Mia who bumps the bird... she couldn't have seen Chloe behind the grass and I was calling her over... the wind was in Chloes face/at Mia's back)

Last edited:
Nice videos. Do you run the camera all the time or just when the dog(s) get birdy?

It is wet out there isn't it.

Shawk, nice videos! How about a review of your GoPro and anything you additional thing you should have purchased or not needed. Hoping Santa brings me one.

had
Nice videos. Do you run the camera all the time or just when the dog(s) get birdy?

It is wet out there isn't it.

Thanks Jim... As you mentioned, I typically turn it on when the dogs get birdie. I'll also turn it on as I'm finishing a field or in general areas I think we may run into birds. Or in the case of a bird today, I just forget to turn it on and miss good dog work all together... :D

Shawk, nice videos! How about a review of your GoPro and anything you additional thing you should have purchased or not needed. Hoping Santa brings me one.

Thanks Mf... Hopefully Sante brings you one. :) This is a great little camera. The videos I have on my computer are incredibly good (MUCH better than what I'm posting here). It's shooting tv quality video. I won't get long but I'll say this thing is VERY easy to use. Get a head mount, a couple extra batteries (I bought generic off Amazon), and a dual charger. I had planned to get the remote but glad I didn't now. It's far to easy to use without. Some like the remote though but I wouldn't use it in the field if I had it. I've found very little to nothing about the camera I don't like. I don't have an issue with the battery life with it considering the quality video it shoots... but that's one of the few knocks others have mentioned about these cameras. I'd buy this thing all over again. That comes from someone that was a pretty hesitant on spending cash on one of these silly little gizmos. ;) Don't hesitate dropping me a note with questions...

Check out this... some helpful tidbits I got here before buying... http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19945

Shawk

Thanks for the update, apologize for the poor grammar in my post, might of had one to many "sodas" when I posted. I have heard nothing but good things about these cameras. Again thanks for you thoughts and comments.

Shawk

Thanks for the update, apologize for the poor grammar in my post, might of had one to many "sodas" when I posted. I have heard nothing but good things about these cameras. Again thanks for you thoughts and comments.

Are you kidding me (ha)... as soon as the grammar police, know it alls or others start frequenting these forums, I'm outta here! :D

btw... I was sorry to see you lost your pooch. :( How are things going with you pup (Brittany)? I bet she's turning into a star quickly for ya! Our Brittany was a fantastic pet and hunter...

Snuck out for a few hours yesterday before my daughters bb game. Tough windy morning but another day of experience behind us. ;)

I think she's embarrassed of the armor her owner puts on her...

Couple short videos below from the day...

Great picture and videos. Thanks, it never easy saying goodbye to your hunting buddy, but I'm sure she is enjoying where she is. My pup had a great season chasing woodland birds. Our bird season for grouse starts mid September and woodcock came in about 4 days later. Call me a nerd but I keep track of wild flushes and points and all that jazz. We did have a real good grouse year, had a great woodcock year. Bella my Britt had only 7 points on grouse with total of 22 flushes, we average about 1 grouse contact an hour, my shoot was poor only killed 1 grouse. Woodcock she had 81 points with 132 total flushes, we averaged 6 birds an hour, shooting not real good only killed 26. Bella was only on the ground hunting for 22 hours. She made her first trip to pheasant country and she hunted a total of 28.5 hours had 33 points with 63 flushes and 12 birds were shot over her. She also made her first pheasant retrieve from both land and a water retrieve. My lab didn't get as much time in the woods this year, but she did well too she averaged 3 birds per hour in the woods with only 2 grouse flushes and one harvested, 24 woodcock flushes with 8 bagged, she only hunted 9 hours. In SD she hunted 28.5 hours had 68 flushes with 9 bagged. She is a very close working lab till she hits the scent......

Our hunts in the woods were usually less than 90 minutes, best day my son and I had shot our woodcock limit of 6 in 30 minutes. We typically only shot woodcock over points, grouse were fair game as were pheasant. Probably more info than you expected, but it was a great year in hunting with my pups and son. Looking forward to an even better year in 2016 and hopefully some on video.

Short 30 second video below from the other day. It was our toughest day of the year for sure. We've spent 99% of our time on public ground this year unlike past years where is was more like 99% on private. We teamed up to get one bird down for her that day and spent nearly the entire day on foot. A little bird work is better than none. ;)

Back