In search of Land, Lodging, hunting partners

lmountjo

Hello everyone. A friend and myself are coming to SD, (MItchell, Chamberlain, 40 mile radius) around first week of November. We love pheasant hunting, but unfortunately our state does not a have a sizeable population to hunt-mostly all pen raised and released. So we have headed out of state to try and find new areas to return to each year to hunt. We are looking to find a few farmers, or landowners and establish a respectable relationship and discuss the options of hunting their property, lodging, renting their house for a week, or whatever options are available.

We are trustworthy career professionals in our late 30's, have hunted since our early teen's, and have a high respect for landowners rights, and property. We are looking to establish a good working relationship with some area farmers and local residents/fellow hunters. Our plan is to return to South Dakota for many years and enjoy the incredible hunting and visit with new friends.

Our first trip is a planning trip, around the first week of November as of now, to learn about the area, meet some of the local farmers, and get a good idea of what is available. The third week of November, we will be coming back with a small group of 7-10 of our friends for a once a year hunting trip lasting 4-5 days. this will be our friends first trip to SD and the experience in our state is nowhere remotely close to what you have in SD.

I would be interested in renting out some property for the group hunt, and whatever lodging is available. But we are on a very limited budget, and the prices from the local business is just not feasable for us. We have 2 dogs that are very good, and really just need access to property and lodging, we are open to any options.

If you are a landowner, farmer, leasing gound, or just know someone that hunts, and may be willing to take a chance on a few hunting buddies from out of town, we would love to talk with you.

Please email and leave me your number or I will email you back with mine.

Thank you for taking a second considering our request.

You might want to check out UGUIDE. It would be the easiest way to get in on some great ground. Otherwise I would say head north of Watertown and hunt sloughs. There is a lot more public land in that area then around Mitchell. Not to be a fun hater but it can take years to develop relationships with land owners. I know a Veterinarian around the Mitchell area that has worked with ranchers and farmers in that area for 35 years. We go hunting with him out there every so often and he has a hard time getting on land in this current era of pheasant hunting. Best of luck and enjoy.

Back