IN Quail hunt

AtTheMurph

Went out for a short time this weekend (Sun morning). First spot was all beans and corn standing. Walked some cover but expected nothing.

@nd spot is a 20 acres grass/weed. thicket that we know always has birds. As we were walking up spotted a Sharp Shin Hawk in a corner tree. It moved as it saw us but only about 40yds.

Told my buddy we should head towards the raptor because it was probably sitting over a covey waiting to pick them off.

Bingo.

Got two out of about 15-18 birds. On on initial flush and one on a secondary flush of 3 birds.

Need some combining to get done for both quail and pheasants.

good times murph, I will have to remember the hawk observation. I did not get out and the dog knew we should have been out there hunting as he barked his head off at me each time I passed the kennel this last weekend.

I watched a red tail take apart a covey one by one over several days. Very sad.

Also have caught Sharp-shins eating quail. That is the hawk that we spotted last weekend. They catch and eat other birds, usually in midair.

everyone complains about coyotes taking game birds but my personal opinion is that the increase in the number of raptor is the single biggest cause of declining bird numbers (after habitat loss).

Got out this morning and got into a nice sized covey after walking no more than 200yds. Probably 20 birds and maybe a few more tucked under some downed limbs in a thick fence row.

Got two out of that rise and two more singles that held tight for the dogs.

Found one more covey later this morning and bagged a couple more then left them be. were about 12-14 birds in that one. Went to a couple other places that have been really good spots over the years and saw nothing.

My hunting buddy and I both believe that quail numbers are down this year due to the tough winter we had and the amount of snow. So far this year it has been great bird weather, warm and little snow. Also seems like our spots have good cover and the decimation of the fence rows looks to have stopped or at least slowed down significantly - thank God.

So far this year it has been great bird weather, warm and little snow. Also seems like our spots have good cover and the decimation of the fence rows looks to have stopped or at least slowed down significantly - thank God.

Yes. So far so good. As we know, the worst is yet to come (Jan/Feb). Time will tell, but if it keeps up like this we should have a nice population going into the spring:thumbsup:

Had 7 coveys last Friday and stopped early! Counted up that I knew where 5 more coveys were on adjacent property. That would have given us 12 coveys in a day. Not bad for being all wild birds!!

Did a hunt Jan 2nd. Hit three places and put up three coveys. Took along a friend who hadn't quail hunted in 15+yrs. I carried a rifle in case we spooked a coyote and he grabbed a little .410.

He killed one in 6 shots which was fine by all of us. Dogs got good action, he got to shoot a little and take home an appetizer.

Hoping the snow sticks for the remainder of the season so we can get out to some new places and get some work in.

Back