Imaginary bird

TimJ

These must not exist since they came off of public land yesterday and were shot with steel shot. ;)

IMG_20161115_163236_578-1_zpsbxnqzx8c.jpg

Stay out of the drought areas and walk the right cover. There are birds out there. Oh and with the way the weather has been your dogs better be able to track, they've been running. Maybe the cool wet weather coming will help.

Tim

It can't be... public land roosters? I bet you got there right after the GFP pheasant-mobile dropped them off.

Lab looks happy.

These must not exist since they came off of public land yesterday and were shot with steel shot. ;)

IMG_20161115_163236_578-1_zpsbxnqzx8c.jpg

Stay out of the drought areas and walk the right cover. There are birds out there. Oh and with the way the weather has been your dogs better be able to track, they've been running. Maybe the cool wet weather coming will help.

Tim

Nice post Tim. God there might be hope I will see a few on public here in a few days. Looks like stellar dog work will be a must if they are running. I have that covered.....

Sure, he is, now I see his markings, didn't look close enough the first time.

Once we found the birds, my problem wasn't the dog work on our recent trip, it was as the shooter:eek: Nice work y'all l, thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys.

Ol'gun,
You are right and after this evenings meal they really don't exist any more. :)

atbrdly,
I'm using a cheap Lightdow LD4000 mounted on the bill of my cap. It's working well enough for me after I fiddled with the settings a bit. I would like GoPro but can't justify the cost. I might try a Firefly 6s, that less expensive action camera looks interesting.

Tim

atbrdly,
I'm using a cheap Lightdow LD4000 mounted on the bill of my cap. It's working well enough for me after I fiddled with the settings a bit. I would like GoPro but can't justify the cost. I might try a Firefly 6s, that less expensive action camera looks interesting.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Tim,

Thanks for the information. I watched your videos a few times and decided to try the Lightdow out. I'm in the same boat, didn't want to spend high dollar on the GoPro. I might be asking for some help on the settings once I get it in if you don't mind.

Thanksgiving week......

Well back home and back to work, what a bummer. We ended shooting a three man limit over the course of the week. We hunted mainly public, some private, and a few road ditches. I am scratching my head trying to figure out the comments that there are no birds? Some of the areas we hunted had to shortage of birds. Another thing that was amazing to me is the % of roosters there are this year. My main concern is the lack of hen volume. Hopefully we will run into more when we head back out at xmas for the last week of the season. Dec 22nd can't get here fast enough.......

Good luck to everyone!

My main concern is the lack of hen volume. Hopefully we will run into more when we head back out at xmas for the last week of the season. Dec 22nd can't get here fast enough.......

Don't be concerned Beirl.;) The hens are out there. You hit a "rooster week" if that makes sense. We've discussed this in the past where one week you may not see many roosters but instead mostly hens, another week it may be mostly roosters with a few hens. Don't ask me. I have my theories but really have no idea why that happens:confused:

If a SD resident can't shoot roosters on public land, then they should just stick with golf and fishing.

Don't be concerned Beirl.;) The hens are out there. You hit a "rooster week" if that makes sense. We've discussed this in the past where one week you may not see many roosters but instead mostly hens, another week it may be mostly roosters with a few hens. Don't ask me. I have my theories but really have no idea why that happens:confused:

I know they are there. Was just amazed at the volume of roosters and how tight the majority of them held. It was a great week for pointing dogs! Had a few young dogs that got in some great work as well. That was the most gratifying part of the trip for me, watching the light bulb go off.

Its good to hear that you had a nice hunt.
It is strange how some times you run into more roosters then hens. I know that on Saturday even though we shot some roosters it made up for some of those rooster only days. There have been some weeks this year when I'm sure I saw 70% roosters.

The weather kind of ran the whole gamut for you last week. A week ago we hunted cattails with knee deep snow and 2 days ago we were in short sleeves.

Tim

Once we found the birds. The one morning we had 30 plus bird flush and took home half the roosters we flushed. That was a 7 bird day. The following day we put up a few less than that but it was still a good day. So 3 out of 7 days we put up 20 or more birds and the other days we at least saw both hens and roosters.

Back