Illinois pheas chicks?

1pheas4

As we all know, it's been a wet nesting season here in Illinois.:( Flooding rains can't help matters at all. Just wondering if anyone out there has seen or heard any signs of pheasant chicks?

I finally got some time to get out yesterday afternoon. Dirt is too wet so birds aren't dusting themselves but I did see some good signs of adult birds and A LOT of cotton tail rabbits. Young and old.

A few weeks back I counted 5 rooster cackling away within a 40-60 acre area of grassland. They were actively letting hens know where they where, and other roosters "stay way".

I'm seeing the same thing you are.I pass by alot of my farms on my way to go train dogs and I see lots of adult birds,tons of rabbits but not one hen with chicks yet.Usually i'll see some by the 4th. of July,hopefully we'll start seeing some soon!

I'm seeing the same thing you are.I pass by alot of my farms on my way to go train dogs and I see lots of adult birds,tons of rabbits but not one hen with chicks yet.Usually i'll see some by the 4th. of July,hopefully we'll start seeing some soon!

Rock, have you seen anything yet? I got out in an area yesterday afternoon to check out one of my areas. Zero sign of chicks yet:confused:

Though where I was looking, most nesting habitat was removed last fall, but there's still some around in surrounding fields. Roosters are still talking.

Passed by some of my hunting spots and counted 14 rabbits,63 doves and 8 adult pheasants.Actually caught a rooster breeding a hen on a gravel road redhanded!!!!Finally saw a hen with chicks(six of them)and they were just a little smaller than chukar.Almost whacked a rooster with the car as he decided to flush out of some crep ground across the road to a corn field just as I was driving by.Hoped to see more hens with chicks,might not be the greatest of hunting seasons this year.

Rock, that's all great news! Going by the size of those chicks, it sounds like that hen had an "on-time" hatch:thumbsup:

Seeing a lot of rabbits around here too. Most I've seen in years. Still no chick sightings though!

Back