I now know I am more of a small game/waterfowler/upland than big game hunter

retrvrman

So my son and I got back from Unit 80 over by South Fork. We went for the opener of 3rd rifle. Bought two over the counter bull tags. Went out Friday early with two other guys. The was my sons first real hunting camp experience. Got out there early, Friday, setup the outfitter tent complete with wood burning stove, Colton split firewood. Got everything setup, went out scouting some....talked to a guy in the campground who had been going out there for 10years....lots of elk around, however neither one of us saw a single elk, cow or bull.....

Colton actually did enjoy it. Mind you he liked shooting a high powered rifle (we sighted in on Friday), ride dad's ATV, hanging with men/guys, cooking breakfast, and also hunting in the mountains, learning to read tracks, elk droppings, bedding areas, game trails, the wind, morning versus evening hunting. Having to sit and wait, glassing for animals, just all that.

Now I am not a Colorado big game expert by no means. I can call in geese, ducks, quarter a CRP field, shoot doves...still haven't figured out damn grouse....oh by the way for my grouse masters on the forum, I didn't see one damn blue grouse the whole weekend and I was in prime habitat...I guess y'all shot them all ;):p

Anyway, he was only bummed out because we didn't see anything....however, he didn't totally kill his spirit. We will try again next year. This time I will put in for a youth cow tag for him for like first season and still get an OTC tag for a bull.

However, for me, I would much rather be out in an upland field with my lab(s) shooting roosters or sitting in a blind calling in mallards and yelling, "cut em".

The good thing is that I only got a warning from the state trooper on the way home in between Poncha Springs and Buena Vista on 285 :eek: Good guy for a change he was.

Looking forward to Burlington this weekend.....

Greg

I understand your feelings, I have been big game hunting in Colorado my entire life and have had several years where I saw nothing. I to love to hunt upland birds with my GSP and look forward to both types of hunting because they are so different. One thing I can say is that when everything is aligned and that elk appears in front of you it is a huge rush because you know how hard it is to even see one. Now in my youngest boys case he has been hunting elk with me for three years, last year he shot his first cow elk then opening day 1st season this year he shot his first bull. It took me 20 years to get my first bull so i'm glad he did not have to wait as long as I did, now I need to find one for the oldest son.

It always make a hunting trip more enjoyable when you see game but as I always tell my son's it's the experience of being in the wild with them and the anticipation that at any time it can change.

Had elk steaks last night and they were delicious now I need pheasant, we'll see what Saturday brings.

Last edited:
I understand your feelings, I have been big game hunting in Colorado my entire life and have had several years where I saw nothing. I to love to hunt upland birds with my GSP and look forward to both types of hunting because they are so different. One thing I can say is that when everything is aligned and that elk appears in front of you it is a huge rush because you know how hard it is to even see one. Now in my youngest boys case he has been hunting elk with me for three years, last year he shot his first cow elk then opening day 1st season this year he shot his first bull. It took me 20 years to get my first bull so i'm glad he did not have to wait as long as I did, now I need to find one for the oldest son.

It always make a hunting trip more enjoyable when you see game but as I always tell my son's it's the experience of being in the wild with them and the anticipation that at any time it can change.

Had elk steaks last night and they were delicious now I need pheasant, we'll see what Saturday brings.

True....that's why it is called hunting and not killing. Must be nice enjoying elk steaks....good luck chasing roosters...never, ever had a problem getting my share of roosters.

Greg

At least you guys had a good time that is what it is really all about. I have been big game hunting in Colorado since the early 80's. Mainly bow hunt but have been doing more rifle hunting lately. I can not remember the last time I went and did not see an animal. I have found in this state location is the key some units are a lot better than others. If you want to get into the animals start looking to limited draw areas. I am not saying you can not find them in over the counter areas but you will have a lot better luck in limited draws. Also the weather plays a huge role on animal migration and some areas do not hold any animals until the snow gets deep enough to push them down.

Mike

Back