Hunting partners

purcel41

Looking to get a group of people together this season to do some hunting. I have a dog and hunt Desplains or Silver Springs mostly. I also have two property's I use for waterfowl. Looking for other guys and their contacts to get together and have a good season. If your interested lets see what we can work out. I live in Plainfield, il and have no problem driving.

I am new to this sport but would willing to hunt des plaines or any other place in reason. I live near midway airport n have a few buddies who may be up to hunt as well. Like I said I am new so please bear with my questions because I have alot. If u are interested please email me. Scotdx@yahoo

I am looking for a good beginner level shotgun. I have checked out a 12ga franchi. 26" barrel. Is that best bang for my buck? With the right choke can I also use it for waterfowl? I don't have a hunting dog. How important is to have a dog dedicated to hunting as a beginner? Can anyone suggest a Club to hunt or am I better off trying the DNR spots?

I'm still going to preach the praises of Mossberg. If you don't mind a pump (I started duck hunting with an auto, pumps took me awhile to get used to, I know it makes me sound like an idiot, but it is what it is), you can get an 870 or Mossberg 500 for cheap. There's a reason they've made the 870 for LOTS of decades.

When I was a teenager we would hunt pheasant and grouse in upper Michigan, near Iron Mountain. We didn't have a dog, we just walked in the woods and fields for awhile. We never did too terribly well, a dog isn't too important, but it will greatly increase your chances at a bird or two.

The flipside to that is the costs involved with a hunting dog, I have my first hunting dog now. He's just over a year old. I spent nine months researching breeders and sending myself and my in-laws to breeders to check their facilities out, I kid you not. I finally settled on a breeder in Missouri, about ten hours away from me.

The initial costs with a decent dog are high, also the first year vet bills are high, part of that can be attributed to the fact that I have him vaccinated against anything and everything, as well as before the season I took him in for a check up to make sure he wouldn't injure himself and everything would be okay.

I also researched vets for three months, I went to every single vet in two counties. They must have thought I was crazy since at the time I didn't even have a dog. I was also one of the few people that checked the vets references and got in contact with my local kennel club to see what they thought about breeders or the vet.

And don't get me started on food. I researched food for a few months. I've read so many labels on dog food bags it's crazy. I'm positive the pet store employees thought that reading labels is what I did for fun. I know so much about stupid dog food that I'm pretty sure I can make it myself in my kitchen.

And keep in mind this has nothing to do with training time, supplies, equipment, ect. My dog goes with me everywhere, except work. We spend an hour or two a night after work training. We've done this since he was two months old. At the time I didn't know or realize that even thirty minutes training an eight week old dog might be pushing it, but he didn't seem to mind.

All in all, frankly, I'm afraid to add up everything I've spent money on for this dog. He eats better than me, he exercises more and better than I do, and he gets the best of everything (ever buy a water bed for your dog? I have).

I have a mossberg 500 pump n its tough n reliable. I have just seen a lot of talk about semi n o/u. I appreciate the feedback. What choke do I use with steel shot. It has the original accu-choke.

In my AccuChoke Mossberg I always use steel shot and I use a modified choke. I have been thinking of switching to improved.

I got my Mossberg after I traded a Mauser for it. I really like the thing. It's in great shape, and I don't think I'll ever take it duck hunting, I'd rather take my auto that has a few scratches and a broken butt plate after a buddy dropped it on concrete. I don't mind that banging around in the bottom of a boat.

Back