hunting grouse in Sandhills of Nebraska

wolffj

Such beautiful country side but how can you enjoy if your dog is subject to Porcupines, prairie rattlesnakes, and sand burrs. I have used the dog shoes but he doesn't like them and is always working on getting them off. Tell me how everyone hunts there

We started with no dog boots and quickly found out they were mandatory . We normally run a rubber dog boot you tape on . The dogs don't like them at first but they get used to them .

I would put them on your dog when you do yard work and get him used to them .

We didn't have a porky problem when we were there last . Came across one rattler in 3 days of huntinf . Lucky I guess . Like you say pretty country !!!

No not in North Dakota but in Montana , real good numbers when we went , not sure what drought conditions are like in that area .

Thanks KS for your reply. This week I telephone North Dakota's Sharptail Biologist,Aaron Robinson, and he said don't bother to come as they are in the worst 30 year drought and birds will be very sparse. You know older Sharptails just don't hold for a point. He said the drought was affecting ND and SD. He didn't mention Montana What part of Montana do you recommend ? Did you encounter sand burrs and porcupines in Montana ? Aaron said they have porcupines in ND

I just make dogs boots out of duct tape. Pour a little water on them at the end of the day, wait an hour and they will easily come off.

Thanks Crossing Shot is one layer of duct tape thick enough to protect against catus spines and sand burrs. Sure would be more cheaper

Not sure about cactus. I put strips of duct tape up and down the leg up to the elbow so the leg is covered. Then go around the leg starting at the foot and going to the elbow. Making your own boot. 3 or 4 layers. Works good on sand burrs. Sometimes they come off so I carry duct tape in vest.

Some guy showed me. If I hunted a lot in sand burrs, probably get boots

I must be the luckiest guy, cause I've hunted the sandhills from Oneil to west of Valentine for 30 years and never booted a dog. They quickly learn to avoid cactus and I only find significant sand burrs in disturbed soil and I've never found many grouse where there are a lot of sand burrs. But then I've never seen a rattle snake or porcupine either for that matter.

If your dog tries to throw off his boots, just walk off and leave him. When he sees you going hunting without him, he'll forget about the boots.

Anyone see the grouse survey from the state of nebraska? Seems like a giant decrease in the sandhill region.

Hoping to get down there in a few weeks, weather permitting.

Back