Hunting etiquette question

smdmz

Had a few "encounters" this year that I've never had in years past. Two were on opening day, one being less egregious, and one last Saturday.

Situation 1: I park at a crop circle corner, and usually I walk all 4 as often running birds will run into the other corners as we're hunting them. Thus we usually get them to hold to point in one of the corners if not the original one I park at. So I park at one corner and am walking corner #3 when I notice that another hunting group has parked at corner #4 and is now hunting what probably holds the birds that ran out of the corner I'm in. Especially on opening day when it's a zoo, I don't necessarily take offense to this. Questionable etiquette? I think so. Major offense? Nah.

Situation 2: I'm parked at another crop circle corner, and wrapping up corner #4 when I notice a couple guys and their dogs have parked not 100yards from my car in the same corner, and are hunting the first corner where I started out. No chance they didn't see my car - they passed it to park where they parked. Questionable etiquette? Yes. Major offense? Maybe not, since I already poked around in there and wasn't planning to a 2nd time.

Situation 3: Parked at a long, skinny (~50yards) draw with a group of trees near where I parked. We work the side without trees and walk the long way, come back on the 2nd half the long way in hopes of bunching them up in the trees for the last 20 yards of the plot. Solo dickhead guy is poking around in the trees as we're coming back. He's got no dog, and it's just himself, but I could have thrown a stone from my car and hit his. He probably didn't see us on that plot when he started towards the trees, but there's no d*mn way he didn't notice my car. I yelled at him and he just ignored me and walked off. Terrible etiquette. Major offense because he flushed the group of birds we were corralling. Fortunately he didn't get a shot off.

So what do yall think? It's curious to me that I've never experienced this before and in the 1st two sessions of this season it happens 3 separate times.

Unfortunately if you hunt long and hard enough you will encounter people like this. I've walked fields only to have a vehicle pull up at the far end and the idiots jump out and shoot at the birds I was pushing. There was a few things I thought about doing to discourage them but then I would be lowering myself to their level. Only thing I can tell you is to just keep hitting it hard and don't let the morons ruin your day. People like this usually quit hunting a few weeks after opening day and you definitely won't miss them when they do.

In general I think it bad etiquette to hunt a field somebody else is already in , go find another spot , is what I would do .

If was a 1/2 section or more I wouldn’t be to put out if another group starts on the other side and works the opposite side even though I intended to work the whole area.

As for the corners and small blocks of cover bad etiquette if they could see you are already there , if there is enough roll in the topography, and they don’t see you when they start they would get a pass .

My favorite time to hunt public is after Thanksgiving when there are less hunters out .

Back