How to age a pheasant

Remy, where did you get that nice leather Pheasants Forever leather deal? I’d like to make one of those for the rearview and see if my wife likes it😁
A few years ago, it was part of a PF renewal pack I believe. I normally renew at the banquet, but extend every once in a while on the national requests also. I think it was a key or birds carrying deal if I remember right. I use old boot laces on most of the others.

A pair from this last weekend. These about as long as I ever see. They look to be 5/8". Maybe like tail feathers, antlers, etc, different minerals in the ground in other areas, they grow more or less. I will keep one similar to this and let them dry with the foot "open". Not sure why I still do this, I must have a dozen pairs tied-up in the garage, a couple hanging from my rearview mirror, which my wife hates.
View attachment 6825View attachment 6826

I saw this recently. Done with a turkey's foot, but same principle. Not sure on where to source flesh eating beetles. :)

1702304839942.png

turkey's foot
Turkey spurs are serious weapons. I tried grabbing a tom I had shot by the feet while it was still doing its "death kick" on the ground and it started kicking. The spurs got me on the wrist bad, gushing blood for a while. Their legs have serious power. Like a modern day velociraptor.

I'll never touch a wild turkey again until I know its FULLY dead.

Turkey spurs are serious weapons. I tried grabbing a tom I had shot by the feet while it was still doing its "death kick" on the ground and it started kicking. The spurs got me on the wrist bad, gushing blood for a while. Their legs have serious power. Like a modern day velociraptor.

I'll never touch a wild turkey again until I know its FULLY dead.
Brother did this too. He was going to stomp the turkey on the head and it kicked him in the leg, tore through his hunting pants and gave him a 18 inch cut down his leg that probably needed stitches but he just taped it up.

Wish I had taken a picture of the tear in his pants leg. Good sized turkey but no giant.

I saw this recently. Done with a turkey's foot, but same principle. Not sure on where to source flesh eating beetles. :)

View attachment 6858

A lot of deer taxidermist will offer beetle service for euro mounts. Im sure they would put legs in for you for a small fee. You are probably on your own for glueing the little bones back together. Theres a few online services too. I'm thinking about it for my dogs first bird, i have the empty shell, leg, and tail feather saved to make a display.

Back