How low can we go?

niceshot

Last year the DNR estimated our harvest at 383,000 roosters. This year will be significantly lower. My guess is around 250,000. I am interested in what you guys think and why? The closest one wins a new Beretta-just kidding.

The low harvest will be because of the late harvest and heavy snowfall. There are more roosters in my area for late season than in the past 13 yrs. You have to bust your hump right now and most people aren't willing to do so. The birds are in the open next to brush so its hard to get close. All the CRP, buffers, and draws are full of snow. That doesn't happen all that often around here. Predation by hawks and coyotes are taking quite a few hens right now. I never shot yotes before but after Dolf has pointed 3 in the last 2 weeks( actually jumping on one) I will start to shoot them. It will take habitat to get the birds back. It won't be big CRP fields( farming practices) but buffers and it will take alot to get back to 1 million roosters. Other factors chemicals, farming practices, predators ect. Maybe there will be some answers at Pheasant Fest, I hope so.

Finally got on them dirty birds yesterday and today on some public land north of town but it was a really tough go. Saw a lot of signs of heavy roosts so Iâ??m sure to head back up that way next weekend. Let Jr. take out my .22 and he got to pop some rabbits, he was pretty excited for his first real hunt. But the snow took its toll on these old legs; dog had a hard time picking up scent unless we were going into the wind. Saw a lot of road hunters-which was too bad because if you worked it, they will come.

Saw a few hens yesterday and a ginormous buck, but alas we were pheasant hunting. My buddy went back to the spot yesterday afternoon to see about finding that buck and kicked up some roosters out of the same spot. Damn it!

Back