High quality dog food

Scoob

http://www.acana.cz/orijen/orijen/

Thought this may be of interest to some. I am going to feed my new puppy this and switch my other dog over. I asked about Purina proplan at the kennel where my new pup is coming from and they said it was full of fillers (corn, grain) and ground up animal parts etc. I asked them mainly because I know a lot of you use it.

Tried to find an ingredient list on purinas website but couldn't. What do you guys think? Just curious.

I use Proplan and have had great results. The kennel I got him from uses it and highly recommended it. I've had my dog on this since I got him at 6 months with the puppy chow. He is now 18 months and doing great; filled out, musceled up and full of energy. The only thing that I don't like about it is the price, but if my dog is willing to give me his best I will due my best to keep him fit and happy.

I brought this up only because I want to find the best possible food for my dogs. The ingredients listed on the packages didn't really help me much as I am not a nutrition expert or vet.

I have however learned that grains and corn are just fillers and not very good for the dog at all. Also chicken and other meats that have growth hormones given to them are also thought to be bad for dogs.

This new Orijen food that I am trying is $67 cdn for a 13.9kg bag (30lbs)
It is made in Alberta but I have a feeling they distribute it in the U.S.

I would welcome the opinions of any vets or nutrition savvy people. Thanks.

I don't like the ingredients in this one personally. Usually the first 5 ingredients make up the majority of the food.

Poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine and omega-6 fatty acids), whole wheat, wheat flour, poultry fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, beet pulp, natural chicken flavoring, flaxseed (natural source of omega-3 fatty acids), spray-dried egg, aspergillus meal (natural source of glucosamine), bentonite, potassium chloride, menhaden fishmeal (natural source of glucosamine), sodium hexametaphosphate, calcium propionate (a preservative), dried brewers yeast, salt, yucca schidigera extract, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, thiamine, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid), minerals (zinc amino acid complex, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, iron amino acid complex, copper sulfate, manganese amino acid complex, manganese sulfate, ethylenediamine dihyroiodide, sodium selenite)

Compare to Orijen

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

Notice no grain or corn.

Again, I'm no vet but I am learning more and more about petfood.

I have read about a lot of people that say their dogs do good on Purina or other foods and that is great but I still don't like the ingredients.

Just my thoughts.

good referacne sites

I asked myself the same question. There is so much advertising out there, and sorta science I thought you might find these sites of value. I was a teacher and always urged my kids to read, learn, and make their own mind up. Everything I have read says Price alone is not always the best way to decide. In the name of disclosure, I feed Science diet, my son feeds the Purina Pro. now for the sites.

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1661

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bestfood.html

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/nutritioncomments.html.

All three appear to be very good sources of information.

Summary: This is from one of the pages and is kept up by a Vet.

So if you are feeding a cheap pet food based on grain AND your pet looks quite good, I know for a fact that you are feeding some scraps or treats. Keep it up! Table scraps are fine for dogs and cats; just don't feed bones. I have surgically removed bone fragments from dogs' and cats' digestive tracts many times and have seen pets die from obstructions or penetrating lesions that cause peritonitis. There are better ways of dental care than feeding bones. Feed bones even to a big dog and you may be taking unnecessary chances with your dog's health. I have seen many surprised pet owners on emergency calls shake their head in disbelief that bones could be causing all that trouble... until they see the X-rays. (See a few yourself here.)
On the other hand, you would be doing your pet a favor by buying a top quality meat-based pet food. Iams and Eukanuba make good ones. Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice is an excellent choice for dry dog food, and there are a number of other companies making high quality, meat-based dry foods. (There's a great selection of foods that can be shipped right to your home, kennel or office through PetFoodDirect.com.)

I guess my two cents is; quit feeling guilty for sticking with good old Purina like some of the so called super premium brand would have us belive.

The proof is in the poop!
I use Proplan Preformance and love it. Good solid stool. My dogs are guide dogs for 2 upland game clubs so they get a little more action then most hunting dogs. There energy level is great. it will cost more than most but an average size GSP only needs 3 cups a day of the PP.

What does everyone think of the seemingly new trend towards grain free foods? I notice the food I am feeding my 6 yr old (Go Natural) now comes in a grain free version.

Dog Food

I use Purina One out of the grocery store. It's high in protein (26%) and available everywhere. Both my dogs have had excellent health and stools on it. Using dog food that is not readily available everywhere seems to inevitably lead to the situation where you have to buy some dog food in the grocery store wherever you happen to be when you run out of the usual. That can make the dog sick and is bad news on a hunting trip. The idea that grain in dog food is "filler" is mistaken. Grain is good for dogs. Farm dogs voluntarily eat grain and the dog food that vets sell has grain in it. Dogs don't need meat from good cuts. The cheap meat and meat by products in dog food is very nutritious even though we would not eat it ourselves. No need to worry about hormones from chicken. It is illegal to give chickens hormones in the U.S. while it is legal to give them to cattle. Have a healthy and energetic hunting season.

Last edited:
Back