Help with fine tuning

sheets7936

I’m currently training my lab, that is about 9-10 months old. I’ve previously trained one other lab and he picked up on it really quick. However this puppy has 3 main issues that I’ve seen so far that I’d like to get straightened out before continuing with training. 1: He responds very well to the whistle sit command when he’s close however when I walk away, call and blow the whistle he will continue running until he’s about 10 feet in front of me then sit, which tells me he understands the command but just isn’t complying. 2: when heeling on a leash or pinch collar he does great. Once I get him in position he’s spot on. He wont come into position though if he’s say sitting in front of me. How can I help him get into position no matter where I am in relationship to him? 3: his drive to fetch is the lowest I’ve seen in a dog. I can coax him to fetch with peanut butter on a ball but that’s about it. I’m a big believer in a shock collar and force fetching but not this early on. What can I do to fix this?

I’m currently training my lab, that is about 9-10 months old. I’ve previously trained one other lab and he picked up on it really quick. However this puppy has 3 main issues that I’ve seen so far that I’d like to get straightened out before continuing with training. 1: He responds very well to the whistle sit command when he’s close however when I walk away, call and blow the whistle he will continue running until he’s about 10 feet in front of me then sit, which tells me he understands the command but just isn’t complying. 2: when heeling on a leash or pinch collar he does great. Once I get him in position he’s spot on. He wont come into position though if he’s say sitting in front of me. How can I help him get into position no matter where I am in relationship to him? 3: his drive to fetch is the lowest I’ve seen in a dog. I can coax him to fetch with peanut butter on a ball but that’s about it. I’m a big believer in a shock collar and force fetching but not this early on. What can I do to fix this?
Are you following a specific training program? What have you done to build his retrieving desire? I suggest joining a training group.

I've talked about "kitchen training" before. Not a big deal. lock yourself and the dog in the kitchen, get a frozen quail or pheasant wing, toss it out and command fetch. praise extravgantly and repeat, keep on until he's bored, then do it some more, correcting him verbally and put the bird/wing in his mouth pull your lead and make him come back to you. Praise extravagantly, then repeat.

Keep on for 10-15 minutes, then stop and just love him up and do it again some time later. Over and over, eventually he will get it. No punishment, just spelling out the letter of the law, and LOTS of praise.

He wants to please you.

Best wishes.

Have you tried live birds at all? And is he neutered? Too often people neuter a dog way to early. Train first neuter later if you must. Some of them need more excitement. Maybe a clip wing pigeon, or a chukar dancing around will get him jazzed up. Also put him in a crate and make him watch a few sessions of you doing retrieves with another dog right in front of him with loads of praise "animated" And put him away with nothing. After a few times try him. The jealousy factor sometimes works wonders. Dont try too many. Just a couple each time and put them up. No free running. Train, and put away. If it is all they get to do for a spell, they look more forward to it.

No I haven’t tried any live birds, also no he isn’t neutered and I don’t plan on getting him snipped. I’ll have to try that! Thank you
Great. In my years I learned that neutering them often leads to them doing this behavior. Kinda turns the boys in to a panzy. If they are taught the business before clipped. They seem to take right up where left off. I would start with his favorite ball or bumper with the jealous trick. Even a dead frozen pigeon or something. I will be willing to bet that will break the ice. Good luck

Back