Help or hindrance

bobeyerite

How do you find shoot clays to keep you in tune/shape shooting wise in the off season? Is it a big help or big hindrance. For me I find it a help. I do use a pointing dog which in some ways is like shooting Trap. When the bird flushes, I catch myself saying Station-3 hard right or some thing like that. Therefore I am one vote saying, "yes it does help."---Bob

Definitely a help for me. I shoot wiht a buddy and we do a mix of "Trap", skeet, "surprise", seated, layout blinds etc... My favourite drill is to where the shooter is out 5 yards in front and 10 yards to one side just walking around, gun lowered. Without warning the operater lauches the target, which would be a high climber, a low fast crosser etc... - you have to hear the trap machine launch, look to aquire the target, mount you gun and make the shot - just like the real thing! My clay launcher is mounted on a car rim so you can alter the path by moving the target in the lauching arm and by tilting the rim before pulling the release.
-Croc

Definitely a help for me. I shoot wiht a buddy and we do a mix of "Trap", skeet, "surprise", seated, layout blinds etc... My favourite drill is to where the shooter is out 5 yards in front and 10 yards to one side just walking around, gun lowered. Without warning the operater lauches the target, which would be a high climber, a low fast crosser etc... - you have to hear the trap machine launch, look to aquire the target, mount you gun and make the shot - just like the real thing! My clay launcher is mounted on a car rim so you can alter the path by moving the target in the lauching arm and by tilting the rim before pulling the release.
-Croc

Of course it helps, especially if you do it like crockett does. It'll sharpen your gun mounting for sure.

What does Tiger Woods do on the days he's not playing in a tournament? He practices. Drives a hundred balls, makes two hundred putts. I ask you...would he win the Master's if that were the one time a year he picked up a club?

To pick up on Jnormanh's analogy, Ben Hogan said it best: "The more I practice, the luckier I get". :thumbsup:

I enjoy shooting clays. It is a fun game. My scores on the course have improved over the years, but I have not seen a huge improvement in the field. If anything I find that I need to slow my swing down as the clays are moving quicker than the birds are at flush. I will say that when golfers golf for practice I would guess they play on a real course and not goofy golf:D

JMBZ, I saw a commerical a while ago. It featured Gary Player and he was using the same line. You're really sure Ben said it before Gary.

Off season I shoot sporting clays and some skeet. It definately helps me.

Best,

I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays to stay sharp for hunting. I think it helps, provided you shoot low gun. I don't think shooting a grooved game with pre-mounted gun does much to improve your shooting on wild birds in hunting situations unless you are talking waterfowl hunting.

I see there are a lot of them. Thank you ---Bob

Last edited:
It helps

Definitely helps! I went through two seasons were my brother shot much better than me. He used to belong to a trap club. The big brother/little brother competition kicked in (Iâ??m the little brother but I out weigh him and can take him in a fight) and I started shooting at a trap club just to get better.

Did nothing but shoot trap with gun shouldered before the pull for about 8 times a year. At the same time my brother stopped going to the trap club.

The results two years later: I am out shooting him 2:1. Each time he misses he says the same thing, â??Canâ??t believe I missed thatâ?�. The moral of the story, in my opinion, is any kind of shooting will help you in the field come hunting time. My guess is if he still went to the trap club he wouldnâ??t have missed most of his shots.

I know I should shoot more clays, especially before dove season opens.
Here recently, the first couple of pheasant flushes of the season has me all out of whack; gun mount sloppy, hurried shooting etc...
I'm sure a better pre-season program would eliminate some of these faults.

lefty

Lefty you have named the biggest faults of most shooters. Myself included. I find by practicing my mount and swing just on stuff in the room I'm practicing in helps. At least I know my mount will be ok. As for the others that is just plain self discipline. It's hard but talk to yourself and it works. I have gone so far as to make some tapes of pheasants flushing, from T.V. Shows and I use them to practice my mount---Bob

Last edited:
Back