Hello from southern Indiana

birddude

1st forum I've joined. Hunted birds in and trained dogs for almost 50 years! I've hunted in 7 states and still hope to add more. Looked at several Forums liked this one the best. I've owned Britts, setters, pointers, GSP and GWPS. The wires have always been my favorites. Currently own a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old. I hope I can bring something to the table here. Thanks for allowing me to join!

Welcome, sounds like you will have a lot of insights regarding dogs with as many as you have had, I am on #2, I only bought my own after my father and brother no longer had one. Had 12 great seasons with my first one, if I can get 12 years with this new one (I would be 69, that doesn't seem right), he might be my last....last puppy for sure. Maybe my tune will change when I am retired and need a new one. Hunted 7 states, that is a bunch, I honestly haven't traveled 100 miles (maybe 60-70 a couple times) from my home to shoot pheasants, I guess I am lucky. If I have my health when I retire, I would like to travel and chase some other upland game birds.

Ha, not sure about insight, if I had a nickel for every time I've been wrong I could buy all the hunting ground I want! I got what I thought would be my last dog about three dogs ago. I guess I will always have one. You are lucky and don't take it for granted. 30 years ago, I had more coveys than I could hunt in a season. We also had a great grouse population! I would save through the summer and quit my job in November. Now, sadly both are all but gone. One of my favorite grizzled old timers from my long ago past gave me some of the best advise ever. I'll skip the colorful language, but he basically said: don't you dare wait for more time and money to take hunting trips, because you'll blink your eyes and your legs and will, will be gone. He was wright.

Back