Hello from Michigan

Cramsey

Hi everyone,

I’m Carl, I live in southeast Michigan. Wild roosters are pretty scarce in Michigan but my little crew and I find them every year anyways. Do a bit of grouse and woodcock hunting too of course. My dad and good buddy each have chessies that we hunt behind and I have a beagle that keeps us occupied between bird season and walleye in the spring. Gonna get a bird dog of my own next spring, just too busy with work this summer to put in good training time but I’m going to have that figured out for next summer.

I joined to get some pointers/suggestions for an out of state trip this fall; I’m doing my research but expect some posts in the state specific forums from me soon. Thinking either Kansas or North Dakota right now. We’re not very big on guided hunts, really like to figure it out ourselves even if we don’t do as well as we could with a guide. I really want to get my dad on a great hunt while he still has some gas left in the tank; I figure anywhere we end up will have more birds than Michigan.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself, seems like a really great community. Thanks everyone!

Welcome. I was born and raised in SW GR. You should start to research north central and NW Kansas or E NE South Dakota. South Dakota has a ton of public land to hunt.

Welcome. I was born and raised in SW GR. You should start to research north central and NW Kansas or E NE South Dakota. South Dakota has a ton of public land to hunt.
I really like that side of the state, I do a bit of work over there and always enjoy it. That is the area of Kansas I’ve considered, the Hill City area. I will have to look into South Dakota more. I almost wrote it off completely just because it seems like we’d be competing with a lot of people but of course we’d find lots of birds there. The potential for quail in Kansas or huns and sharpies in North Dakota was very attractive. I shot one quail in Michigan when I was a kid, I’d love to see a covey explode again.

I really like that side of the state, I do a bit of work over there and always enjoy it. That is the area of Kansas I’ve considered, the Hill City area. I will have to look into South Dakota more. I almost wrote it off completely just because it seems like we’d be competing with a lot of people but of course we’d find lots of birds there. The potential for quail in Kansas or huns and sharpies in North Dakota was very attractive. I shot one quail in Michigan when I was a kid, I’d love to see a covey explode again.
In the NW and N Central part of Kansas you could run into some prairie chickens as well. Hill City is a good starting point. I have access to a large family farm NW of there in Norton and Decatur counties that I hunt every year.

Back