Hello from Maryland

MDUplander

Hello everyone,
I came across this forum while researching e-collars And liked what I saw. I have just become interested in upland hunting via getting a Red and White Irish Setter and look forward to my first hunting season ever this upcoming fall. I have spent the last several months reading everything I can and listening nonstop to various podcasts and unfortunately come to the realization that where I live, Maryland, is not the best upland hunting area so I see lots of travel in my future. I look forward to learning from everyone.

Welcome to the site. PA has a pretty good release program that may offer some relatively close options for you but ultimately you will likely end up making cross country trips to better upland options like Montana, north and South Dakota, Kansas, Iowa to name a few. Lots of knowledgeable people on here and everyone likes dog pics!

Thank you for the heads up regarding PA. Grew up there in Bucks County but my father wasn’t a hunter. I have looked into their pheasant stocking program and out of state hunting licenses since it seems like that would be my closest -head ant hunting opportunity outside of a preserve here in MD. Woodcock and grouse seem to be somewhat available here in state so will probably also try my hand at that. hHere is a pick of Darby, she is now 10 months old and will be headed to Mason Dixon Outfitters to be trained by Kim this coming Saturday.

Attachments

• 0449AEFC-0A43-45F3-9996-84F059467E55.jpeg
    0449AEFC-0A43-45F3-9996-84F059467E55.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 11F3D3C2-2D65-4935-8520-6ECB95BC003C.jpeg
    11F3D3C2-2D65-4935-8520-6ECB95BC003C.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 0
Where abouts are you in Maryland? I'm just north of Baltimore in the Cockeysville area.

Kim offers a training membership as well that's worth while... I also have hunted at Big R Bird ranch just outside of York PA. Because it's a hunting preserve, no out of state license needed. Granted your not hunting wild birds.

Because of the lack of upland birds in the area, I tend to just make a 7 to 10 day trip in the fall somewhere. Last few years was to Maine and Vermont for Grouse and Woodcock. This year its to South Dakota.

Frank

Welcome! I'm originally from PA and now live in SC. Grew up hunting grouse and pheasants, now I have traded them for woodcock. You should concentrate on woodcock hunting. they can be found in a array of different habitats. The most important part of the habitat to look for is high stem counts in low growth understory with a closed or almost closed mature canopy. the exception to this are young pine regrowth clear cuts and I don't know if you have much of that in MD. You may need to concentrate in floodplain riparian areas. Often woodcock can be found in the same areas as you would go rabbit hunting, young clear cuts chocked with briars and trees less than 10 feet tall.

Woodcock offer so many advantages for bird hunters. They hold very well for dogs. They may creep away but are not going to get away from a dog. When they flush, they don't normally fly more than 20-30 yards on the first flush. So you can watch where they land, regain control of your dog and now you are both ready. They also leave telltale scat droppings on the ground. You can tell if you are in a birdy area and if they are still there or if they have moved on by how fresh the scat is. You can also scout for them in the early morning and just after sunset. Just go to a field or an opening close to where you thing there is good daytime habitat. Watch and listen for the iconic flight of the woodcock. If you don't know what it is... look it up and watch a few videos. Before long you will find what you are looking for. The last advantage for woodcock hunting is there is relatively little pressure.

You may also be interested in snipe hunting. Look into Wilson's common snipe and if they migrate or live in your area. They are very similar to woodcock but hunt more like dove that you walk up and flush. Then sit back and wait for them to fly back or watch where they land and go jump them up again. You don't need a brown paper bag and flashlight for these birds, just a good dog and some mud flats.

I hunt woodcock on average 20 times per year with an average bird count per hunt of between 2.1 and 2.6. Between my one buddy and me, we have bagged over 100 birds per year for the last 10 years straight! That is getting it done and the work for the dogs is incredible. Good luck.

Back