Heated Gloves?

Pete Bauer

Curious if anyone has any experience with heated gloves that still provide some dexterity and allow you to shoot w/o issue. I've tried many gloves and even the nicest ones I can get from Cabelas (while still allowing some ability to shoot) give me issues after a little while in the cold. I end up having to pull my fingers in and make a fist every few minutes which is an issue when pheasant hunting. I've tried jamming in hand warmers which kind of work but it's less than ideal.

I have raynaud's and it seems like every year it gets worse as to what my hands can handle. I'd have no problem paying good money for a nice pair of heated gloves that provide good dexterity for shooting. I see lots of options on the internet but nothing local except bulky ones for skiers.

Does anyone use heated gloves with any success? I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!
Pete

IMG_0827.jpg

Pete:

Can relate with cold hands/raynauds...I have poor circulation in both hands plus a joint replacement on the left index finger.

I bought a pair of battery/heated gloves the work fine for all fingers, except the index...go figure. Am able to use the safety and trigger Ok, but the index fingers gets cold. And the gloves are bulky.

A week ago in SD I used the following combo: wool ragg stretch gloves with 40% Thinsulate. Inside I used heat packets directly on the skin.. I ordered pockets that I installed inside the gloves - to hold the packets in place as they move around a bit and can fall out of the glove. Have yet to try this assembly but I think it will work.

The heat packets directly on top of the hands seem to heat the blood going to the fingers. Other gloves ,with pockets for the packets, aren't as effective...too far away from the skin.

Try this combo and see if it works for you! Maybe I'll seek a patent!

Jon

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this thread and thought I could help. I don't have personal experience with heated gloves, but I've heard good things about the ones from Venture Heat and Mobile Warming. They seem to offer a good balance of warmth and dexterity for shooting. It's also worth checking out reviews on Amazon or other online retailers to get an idea of how they perform in the field. As for local options, it might be worth visiting a hunting or outdoor sports store to see if they carry any heated gloves. If you're looking for regular gloves for hunting, I've heard good things about https://harmonycr.com/raven-black-nitrile-gloves/. They're warm and nice

While heated gloves work (kind of) I now use heated glove-liners with a stretch glove over the top. This seems to work better than the heated gloves that are a bit bulky. The challenge is to find gloves that stretch over the liners...

Pete:

Can relate with cold hands/raynauds...I have poor circulation in both hands plus a joint replacement on the left index finger.

I bought a pair of battery/heated gloves the work fine for all fingers, except the index...go figure. Am able to use the safety and trigger Ok, but the index fingers gets cold. And the gloves are bulky.

A week ago in SD I used the following combo: wool ragg stretch gloves with 40% Thinsulate. Inside I used heat packets directly on the skin.. I ordered pockets that I installed inside the gloves - to hold the packets in place as they move around a bit and can fall out of the glove. Have yet to try this assembly but I think it will work.

The heat packets directly on top of the hands seem to heat the blood going to the fingers. Other gloves ,with pockets for the packets, aren't as effective...too far away from the skin.

Try this combo and see if it works for you! Maybe I'll seek a patent!

Jon
Hands still get cold with the ragg gloves and warmers...

When its cold in December Montana hunts, I use a windproof glove
with chemical hand warmers in the palm. No problem pulling the trigger.

I don't have heat loss from the cold metal receiver of my Citori.
My hands stay warm down to zero using that method.

When it is below zero, I go with a mitten on my left hand and chemical hand warmer
and a thicker glove with chemical hand warmer on my trigger hand.
Inexpensive, simple, and it works for me.

Back