Heat wave

JSMITH

Supposed to be over 100 for the next week or so in pheasant country. Are the chicks sturdy enough to withstand?

Many parts of the country are broiling in heat right now. The United Kingdom, France, Spain, and other parts of western Europe are in a massive heat wave.

Early-to-average hatch date chicks should be ok. Late hatched and second attempt nests are probably toast. Pivot corners around irrigation should be ok.

This drought worries me more than the heat. It’s bad where I’m at in far western Kansas. A lot of talk about 2012 around here, right now. I’m still seeing birds and chicks, but this has to be hard on them.

Southeast corner is smoked too, a few pockets have gotten an extra shower or two but some areas have had .7" in last 7-8 weeks along with this heat. No Bueno! We never see loads of quail but seeing considerably less this year so far than the last couple years. Whatever numbers we had gained back are not showing up right now.

Last edited:
Missouri governor issued a drought advisory today. I've been seeing rain in the forecast for next week, I pray it's true! I don't even wanna think about how bad it is out in western Kansas 😢

Back