Hearing protection

I have hearing loss and tinnitus.

I am a man of limited financial means and I hunt and fish with my disposable income.

I have tried several electronic ear muffs and do agree that the wind generated noise is unbearable.

I now wear Sensgard Ear Shields. Several of the guys that I hunt with now wear them too.

They cost under $30 and are non electronic. They allow some hearing of casual conversation and pheasant flushes and have NRR of 31.

I bought a pair of these, they seem to work well. I also have some peltor earmuffs I like with the added gel cups, really nice, but not the best in really stiff wind. I've got the orvis ones as well, they work too. I'm still testing and trying, prolly buy some new electronic ones for next year. So far all have their pros and cons. My ears ring bad, I just cannot do without ear pro.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these, they seem to work well. I also have some peltor earmuffs I like with the added gel cups, really nice, but not the best in really stiff wind. I've got the orvis ones as well, they work too. I'm still testing and trying, prolly buy some new electronic ones for next year. So far all have their pros and cons. My ears ring bad, I just cannot do with ear pro.

My ears ring badly too.

Hearing protection is only effective if it is worn.

I use the Ear Shield and have found that I wore them through all my hunting this fall, including dove, grouse, duck, and pheasant hunting.

Last edited:
I was hoping to find a pair of hearing aids that would also serve as protectors, but couldn't find them, so bought a pair that do shut off automatically but don't really help while shooting. I'll try the ear shields.

I was hoping to find a pair of hearing aids that would also serve as protectors
I asked about that too when I inquired about a hearing aid for my left ear. They don't exist, I was told by the audiologist.

I don't know how many young hunters we have on this forum, but if you're reading this: protect your ears before you ruin them. Because once they are ruined, they are ruined forever without a hearing aid.

The young clay target shooters (HS league) learn early about hearing protection.

Still, most of these teens also wear ear buds (music, videos, etc) a significant amount of time.

Back