Heading to SD near Mitchell

GOSKERS

Myself and a buddy with 3 dog are heading to the Mitchell area. I was wondering how the hunting is in that area? I am coming from Missouri and my buddy from Nebraska. Hope we do good. Long drive if its no good.

I just got back from Mitchell last week. A lot of the corn was out plenty of birds. Are you hunting public or private? They had a very wet year and most of the slews are over full with water. If you dont mind getting a little wet it should be a good time.

hunted 20 miles north of the mitchell area a couple weeks ago, however we were on private ground. Had a lot of success but I would say overall the bird count was down a little where we were at.

We will be hunting public. Glad to hear there has been success up there we are planing on driving up to an hour or so away from mitchell aslo. Thanks for the help

I was in the Mitchell area last week. The WIA and Production areas south of White Lake were full of hunters. We hunted private ground near them. You might want to run out West River and try the WIA around Kennebec and Murdo. There was a better hatch out there than in the east. Still plenty of guys hunting public areas, but if you get 1/4 mi away from the roads and run into sloughs or draws, you'll get into birds.

Just talked to a guy from Mitchell who works for the Dept of Ag and he said Bird numbers down in the area this year. They had a lot of rain early and often this spring and early summer.

Thanks for the info I would have to say that the Mitchell area is hunted out. Even though I did limit out one day in that area. We ended up heading over to Reliance SD 2 of the 3 days. I can say I have never seen so many birds I limited out both days up there by just walking the ditches. It is amazing how they can have so many birds but all the other states like Nebraska, Missouri cant have near the population. We will be back next yr but we will be staying in Chamberlin area so we dont have to make the 1.5hr drive every morning.

Just got back from sd yesterday, and we hunted all 5 days about 15 miles north of mitchell on private land. Saw hundreds if not thousands of birds, was just really tough to get close to them. Chamberlain is a great area also, some of the highest density of birds in the state per mile.

Couple guys from work came back from Mitchell a couple of weeks ago. They hunt private and shot birds, but also noted it was the worse success they have had in the 15 years going there.

Populations may vary as you move across the county / counties because of the wet and wild weather this area had this summer.

Ability to move if not seeing birds maybe more important than in other years when populations are a little more stable across the entire area.

jsut got back best success is on private land if you can find it..
we also got birds just walking the ditcches next to a cut corn field..right next to a dirt road. birds seem to hold better there too...and it is easier walking!:)

ok leaving tomorrow....

Ok any more reccommendations on hunting land near Mitchell? We leave tomorrow!

citori,

I just returned from my second trip. Hunting was tough even on private land for us around forestburg and woonsocket(25 miles north of Mitchell). We did find some CREP land just north and east of woonsocket that was not too bad. good luck

Back