Heading to Russell

Matt74

A friend and I are heading to the russell KS area on Jan 6th. This will be our 1st trip to KS and we are primarly targeting quail. How are the bird numbers this year? I know its been real cold. Is there much snow? Any advice would be greatly apperciated. We are planning on hunting mostly Wiha's unless we can any private land owners that allow hunting for a reasonable price? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Matt

good numbers in russel from what I understand. I have heard better reports from south central kansas than north central kansas this season as far as quail go but you'll find good number of birds anywhere in kansas. I have been hunting northeast kansas with a lot of success as well. Quail numbers generally up in most areas in my opinion.

Some family friends of mine have hunted southern Kiowa and northern Comanche counties that move 9-10 coveys a day on private ground where last year they only moved 6-7 on the same property. They hunt their ass off but they move a lot of birds. they also try Wiha land close by and said it as produced better this year than the last several. Good luck were ever you go!

Thanks for the report. We are going to the russell area because of all the Wiha land around that area. Maybe it will work out. I will let you know how we do.

If you are going for quail you are too far north bud... You need to stay south of I70.... Chances of seeing quail in the WIHA in Russell which is all CRP is going to be very slim.... That is where I hunt at but we hunt on private land and I have never flushed a covee from the CRP... Good luck though

Back