Hatfield SAS 28ga Question

LC Smith

I recently bought a Hatfield SAS 28ga for fun. I know, it's an inexpensive shotgun... I took it out yesterday to pheasant hunt at my local preserve. I figured I'd get Whisky some work and test out the gun. I was shooting Federal Game Load 1oz #6 loads. I went three shots for three birds in the vest. I was using the MOD choke. I could have very well got the same results with the IC tube.

My issue is after the hunt, I decided to jut run some ammo through it to break it in. It would not cycle multiple shells through it. I cleaned it before I took it out, but I am thinking I need to tear it down, trigger group and all, and hit it with some hard stuff and make sure I don't have any burs, etc. Any other thoughts or experiences? I used a combination of Ballistol and Eezox for cleaning/lubrication. I am thinking I need to hit it with brake cleaner and lube the main points with a light coating of good gun grease.

For GooseMaster--- Two birds were straight away and one was a nice Left to Right cross, all at about 25yds and hit the ground hard and no runners. I was impressed with the load/gauge combo.

Attachments

• 4Bs bird 3.jpg
    4Bs bird 3.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 7
Here's a couple of ideas from a thread on a Hatfield .410 that had some cycling problems.

I may have found the issue. While tearing the gun down, I popped the pin to remove the trigger group, and when I took the group out the pin/spring fell out. It is attached to the flipper. I am still going to give it a supper cleaning and lube. I am not sure how in the world it dislodged itself from the correct position (in picture.) The only thing I can think of is that it was not set correctly from the factory and it popped free.

Attachments

• IMG_5637.JPG
    IMG_5637.JPG
    617.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back