GSP #2 coming shortly... puppy pics ;)

Shawk

My daughter and I made a drive to see a litter of pups last week that we'll be getting a pup from shortly. We already have a nearly 7 year old GSP and I had swore we'd never have two pooches again after putting two down on the same day about 7 years ago... but here we go again! My wife is not looking forward to the "puppy training & trouble" and neither am I... but it'll be fun having a couple four legged buddies in the field who are worth while unlike my two legged buddies (ha-they would say the same of me).
There's no picking of a pup this time around except that it'll be another female. The breeder is in his 80's?? and apparently pretty well know across the country... sounds like he has guys who have waited a year or two who will also be getting a pup from this litter so I'm looking forward to seeing if this pup comes with a cape! I quickly figured out from our visit that the adult dogs there seemed like tremendous pets which is what we're after as much as anything else. The pups had clearly been handled a ton already as well... they were incredibly well mannered for being so young (even a little weird how good they were in a good way) :D... Of course, I think my daughter wore them out as well.
My daughter has the job of picking the name (with my veto power fully in tact)... she ruled out my favs because she knows kids with those names... so at the top of her list right now is Libby, Liddy, & Chloe.
Will post a few after the pooch is home...

Steve, great looking dogs! (But I knew they would be) Which breeding is that?

Breez goes back to Bob on Saturday for whelping. I'm anxious for this to happen, but sad that I will be dog less for several weeks. She's definitely carrying! Were taking advantage of being dog less by remodeling the back porch to the house where the dogs get let out. Dropping her off on our way to Knoxville for opening night on Saturday.

Nice! Good looking pups. Good luck

Thanks ITH! Looking forward to the addition of a puppy that is guaranteed NOT to chew or eat things!! (don't think I'll get that in writing) :)

Steve, great looking dogs! (But I knew they would be) Which breeding is that?

Breez goes back to Bob on Saturday for whelping. I'm anxious for this to happen, but sad that I will be dog less for several weeks. She's definitely carrying! Were taking advantage of being dog less by remodeling the back porch to the house where the dogs get let out. Dropping her off on our way to Knoxville for opening night on Saturday.

These pups are from his two dogs (Stormy & Willow)... I scheduled a time to catch up with him on Friday to pick up a pup. ;)

Very cool... glad it's happening with Breez... man, if I could handle two pups right now, I would... but two dogs are more than enough for us right now. Your Breez is at such a great age to add a 2nd (or 3rd). Have fun with the remodel!

Time flies.. I looked at Breezs registration and she will be 5 on May 10. Didn't realize that at all.

So, what are you naming the new girl? I seen the last of that litter when I dropped Breeze off on Friday and if I didn't have a dog coming already I would've scooped her up in a heartbeat.

You're going to have a blast with this addition to the family.

So, what are you naming the new girl? I seen the last of that litter when I dropped Breeze off on Friday and if I didn't have a dog coming already I would've scooped her up in a heartbeat.

You're going to have a blast with this addition to the family.

My daughter named her Chloe... :) That other pup was a fantastic pup too! I'm assuming she's in her new home already now too.

Cool... whoever gets her will be lucky to have her! :thumbsup:

btw... I should post to others that I'm referring to Bob Merkel (Wrenegade Kennels, Jesup, IA). I forget the numbers... but this guys been around some of the best GSP's on the planet... produced, raised, trained, handled, you name it... also included a Brittany line he still talks about (Hummer) that my Britt was out of 20+ yrs ago back when I knew absolutely nothing about dogs. I didn't buy her from him but it didn't take long to see what a little gem I happened to have from day one in the field (long story I'll save ya from :D). Bob is a straight shooter that KNOWS his stuff and KNOWS GSP's. His wife is involved in breeding/genetics behind the seens and they appear to be pretty tight with what they do and produce. The coolest part is that everyone I've talk to with one of his dogs mentions what great pets they are as well. If there were a way that I could bring another pup home, I would in a heartbeat but there's no way that'll happen right now in our house. :eek:

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a few pics for a little update... Pup is about 9 months now and our older pooch is a tad over 7.

Puppy training here... older dog teaching pup how to get comfy... I see two! Do you?

and a few from the field...

One of many fun points already... life is getting more fun by the day for both of us!

These are some of the most fun finds (for me)... we're 100 yards from a parking area on public ground with nothing but a little sparse cover in a pretty mowed down area. My pooch locks up rock solid and even as thin as it was I couldn't see the hen when I walked into it, thought nothing was there but my Mia was convinced... kicked a little more and out blasted and the hen. Fun times... this time it was a hen, but these are the birds our dogs find that we would have walked by. I've bagged many sneaky roosters in these thin areas like this too (thanks to a pooch of course)!

First rooster point and retrieve. Couldn't have asked for a better dog work that day.

Chloe looks alot like my Breez dog for some odd reason. ;) Great to see youre getting her out and doing so well for a pup!

Chloe looks alot like my Breez dog for some odd reason. ;) Great to see youre getting her out and doing so well for a pup!

Haha... yeah I wouldn't know why. I can tell ya... she's already exceeded my first year expectations (in the field specifically but she's a sweetheart around the house too!). Good times ahead... happy hunting! I'll look you up if I make the trek your way. Later!

Back