Green Pheasant Hunter

BKGundog2014

My dog and I are both new to bird hunting. I enjoy going out with my brother or friend, but we hunt public lands and don't know anybody with private property. Went out for the first time in Kit Carson County and did not see a thing in the 4 hours we walked the fields. I don't want anybody's honey hole or secret spot but some place where I can myself and my 10 month old Chessie on some birds would be nice. We don't mind driving a few hours from home, which is colorado springs. Any public lands that you all know of that holds some birds would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours isn't bad. Most all of us put time like that in the fields w/out seeing a thing BK. Sometimes I'll go a day without seeing a bird. Other times there's birds right from the get-go. That's hunting.

If you're in an area with a sustainable pheasant population, in time, you'll find birds.

Let me and the others know if you want any advise or tips for finding birds in the areas your hunting. Don't give up. When your new to it, it takes time "learning birds".

Best of luck:cheers:
Nick

You would probably do better going further north where drought conditions have moderated some. Given how many hens I have seen so far, with good winter and spring conditions, next year could be much, much better. Nice weather so far this season is working in the birds favor. Go out when winter weather arrives and you'll find some birds for sure. Good Luck.

Thank you both for the insight. 1pheas4 I definitely need to learn birds, how do I go about learning them. I did not come from a hunting family and is a hobby I have picked up on my own. It is fun being out there and I understand there will be slow days, but all my hunting thus far in my life has been very slow lol.

toughshed thanks for the information I will check out areas further up north

Learn their habits of where and when they use the field you are going to hunt. There is a bunch of info on here. With some time searching older threads you may even pick up some info on where to start looking and what time the birds go to feed and back to roost. Weather plays a key role. I would also head North a bit as well. You can look up harvest numbers by county and see historical good pheasant counties from the DOW website. get involved with PF and meet some people that will let you tag along on a few hunts to get your feet wet and learn. The longer you are on UPH and the more you share it will come back to you when you ask for help. Some people have good spots because they have family and friends that live out there and know where to go. Others have to do a lot of research and then go scout to see if their research is correct. You can scout and do some research while you have a gun and dog and just keep marking the Walk ins off your map. I have several years worth of old walk in maps that have produced for me and if they change i still hunt around the new ones in the same area because of the bird population i saw in previous years. Some work out and some don't. Good luck and welcome to UPH.:cheers:

My experience is you need three things to put better odds in your favor, food, cover, and water. Look for fields that are good cover with a food source around it and having an irrigated crop is even better. Corn, wheat, sorgum, bean fields are all good. The divisions web site has a video that talks about bird hunting and what to look for that is a good video to watch other wise just put yourself in a good spot with all three items and just walk, alot. Agree with toughshed on going farther north but there are still birds to be found in Kit Carson also.

Shorthair, I'll have to check that video out on the DOW. Thanks for the insight. We will have to get back out there and continue to learn.

Get back out there December is the best month for Chessies! :thumbsup:

The other thing is if you want to get across the border 2015 Kansas licenses go on sale Dec. 15 and will cover the rest of 2014.

i am new to pheasant hunting also but we went to cheyenne wells and we are from colorado springs. maybe we can meet up sometime and all go togther. we saw quite a few hens and about 10 roosters that were in range.

Browndog Ill have to look into that, thanks for the information. Kansas not that far. Ultimaterooster that would be great if we could get out there together. Let me know next time your heading out.

These guys are giving you great advice BK. Get out there early in the morning and look for really thick cover (easier said than done, I know). Give a listen as well, sometimes you can hear the roosters cackling. You know you're on them then. As Bleu said, if you can find a spot that has thick cover and near a food source, that's about as good as you can get.

I also am an advocate of keeping records on where you find them. I have years of info marked on my GPS and can easily compare it to the Walk In Areas to try and find patterns.

So I would say get out there and drive every WIA are you see on the map. Hike the thickest stuff and mark what looked good or where you found them. Best of luck to you out there!

Back