Great trip to South Dakota

The dog, a friend and I left Monday drove throught the night and got to mitchell Tues morning. We hunted public land in south of there. Found our first bird about ten minutes after starting. I got him, and we ended up putting up,about twenty more. That day ended kinda early because we were so tired.

The next day we went to the North. We found birds, but we also found other hunters and wind. I am not used to the wind out there. It was blowing at 40 mph, and made the dogs nose worthless. Als the birds were jumpy, and when they got up into the wind they were gone. We headed back to the south to a spot I was positive had to hold hundreds of birds. It held none, this would be the only spot we went to that had no birds.

We hunted to the south again on Thursday. In fact we went way south and found a few birds, but worked our way back North.

Friday we went back to some areas we had hunted before and to my surprise the birds were there. But the wind was back. While we were backing up for the day the wind was gusting over 50 mph, I have never seen anything like it.

Things I learned

The people in South Dakota are very nice
There are plenty of birds on public land, that is all we hunted
Make sure you go to the corners of every area you hunt. I found birds hiding in the last five feet of a couple corners
If one flushes ten more will go in staggered intervals, be ready, don't focus just on the first one
We found a lot of birds within thirty yards of the parking area or road. There may be more hidden in the cover, but some are very close.
Don't overlook waterfowl management areas, they are low on water, but some of or most productive times were there. I'm not sure what it is called, but almost every time I found this cane type of grass I found birds in it
If you look at the map and see a small area all by its self it maybe worth a try.

To everyone going out yet have fun. And where we were it seemed like most of the corn was down.

You are right about the Waterfowl areas, last year some of the units south of Chamberlain had planted corn and short grasses between ponds and we had good luck mostly on afternoon hunts. Also couldn't stop staring at the amount of ducks flying in and out of these areas. The only downside was there was a certain prickly burr around these areas that would stop my Brit in his tracks. I'm allready running him in boots for our season. The spot I'm talking about had a WPA next to GPA sorry for misleading anyone.

Last edited:
Back