Gove Co.

Tucker

3 of us hunted last weekend and we got 3 birds. It was our 5 trip of the season and by far the slowest as far as action. Of course we should of had a couple more, I missed 3 that were right there. Just did not see the number of birds as in past trips. Still had a great time!

Sounds like you did better than us in Rush/Ness counties. :thumbsup: Did you hunt in that Wind on Saturday? We actually saw more birds on the warm calm friday than we did on the hard cold wind on Saturday. I guess I haven't figured out how to find them on those types of days.

It is not easy to "find" them within range on those days. The birds are skittish on windy days and too jumpy on warm days. It is best to find small patches that you can circle with a couple of other hunters.

Last edited:
sw ks report (liberal area)

Pheasant hunting is alive & well in the sw area. Its been awhile since I've been out I developed back probs over Thanksgiving. But that has straightened out & I did get out some over the holidays. Also I have been talking to other local hunters & have received similar reports. My teenage son, his friend, and myself were out Sat before Xmas for a couple hrs before sundown. We bagged a rooster apiece and flushed 2 coveys of quail. Didn't shoot any quail too late in the day. But we did see well over 100 birds as we drove our route East of Liberal. The following day the family drove to Longmont Co to spend Xmas. As always I took the back roads to Ulysses Ks. It was at the time of morning when the birds were coming out of the feed & onto the roads for gravel. My son & I were counting the birds we saw & the number totaled 86 birds in 60 miles. On Newyears afternoon I took my 15 year old twins along with my daughters boyfriend out for a couple of hours. We shot 5 roosters and 3 quail. The following day one of my employees and I were repairing a water line at our farm while we were out there we found enough time to bust a couple coveys. And managed to bring 9 birds back to town. The following afternoon my son & I went again just before sundown West of town. We each shot a rooster:cheers: and again saw 40-50 birds. I talked to a local hunter that hunted Stevens Co. south of Hugoton the weekend before Xmas. His group shot 60 birds over the weekend. I talked to landowner whose grandson was home from college who hunted the same weekend with friends and their party of four limited out on Saturday. And finally I spoke with a landowner today and he said that as of late what few people that had hunted on him had all filled out. Needless to say I asked and was given permission to hunt MLK weekend. He did say that after crops were in that he felt in his area that bird counts were still significantly higher than normal. In closing the point is that pheasant hunting can still be good. in fact its my favorite time to hunt. The weather is cooler the birds are much more concentrated and they certainly present more of a challenge. But with a change of tactics those of us who remain can have some fantastic hunting.

Glad to hear the fine report. Unfortunatley, I have not been in the field enough this year, but this weekend I intend to chase a few quail and pheasant around close to Dodge and I hope it is good. January is my favorite time to chase the birds.

Back