Got a turkey last friday in MN

Bob Peters

I had friday off work and didn't have any specific plans, other than to be hunting or fishing somewhere. I hadn't gotten a gobbler yet so I decided to hit the turkey woods. I set up on a field edge and sat in the blind for 5.5 hours. It was raining/sprinkling off and on. I never made a call, just set up on a known strut zone. This tom was in view for what seemed like forever but was probably about 30 min. He was hanging back with two hens about 80 yards out and I didn't think I'd ever get a shot. Finally around 10:30 the hens left the field to probably go lay on a nest and then he zig zagged right over to my decoys. My heart was pounding as hard as it ever has in my life, but I kept my head down on the stock this time and made a good shot. I heard pheasants cackling each morning and that had me dreaming for the fall.

Attachments

• MN Turkey.jpg
    MN Turkey.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 14
Nice bird! How were the spurs? Looks like a solid beard on him.

And yeah turkeys get my heart racing too. More than any deer I've seen when deer hunting haha something about a turkey gobbling sub 40 yards gets me going.

The spurs were inch and an eighth the beard right about 11". He was an old bird for sure. I'm gonna do a tail fan mount made out of old barn wood.

Back