Gortex Clothing: Pros and Cons

bigjohn

Im just interesting in hearing peoples opinions who have used either L.L. Bean or Cabelas Gortex hunting pants and coats.

I've used Cabela's Upland Gortex jacket and pants for several years now and have had no problems with them as of yet. The seems don't leak and they have held up well in the heavy cover, brush & cattails and such. They are not made of a real heavy weight cloth, but they are durable.
I have not hunted in them in a real down pour, just in light rain and in heavy dew and snow. They have kept me dry.

I have used the LL Bean Gortex pants and like them. They are warm, so if it is warmer than about 30 degrees they are too hot. I use mine for cold winter days.

I've had decent luck with LL Bean gore-tex pants. I've had them for about 3 seasons. They get a good workout hunting grouse in Northern Michigan in the wet October weather around here. Used to use the filson double tin wax pants......the ones you stand up in the corner to dry after the hunt :p The gore-tex is much less tiring to walk in. What I found works best is to wear silk longjohns under the pants. I started this with the wax pants years ago to keep the clammy feeling away. Worked wonders. But found it also works great with the gore-tex pants as they have a nylon type liner. That nylon liner feels rather strange against your bare legs. So the silkies help draw the sweat away and keep a nice barrier from the wierd feeling nylon.

Go ahead and buy them.....you won't regret it.

Brett

Following up on the warm weather. I'm usually hunting 40's to mid 50's in the wet weather. No problems with the silkies. Even into the 60's is tolerable. You'd be surprised how comfy you feel with those silkies on :D Give it a shot.

Brett

Re-Conditioning Goretex

Heads up to all you guys who want to re-condition or re-proof your gortex hunting garments. I have goretex pants that are approximately 4 years old and have begun losing their waterproofing and i was recommended the nick-wax products both the detergent and the re-proofing product. I was pleasantly suprised at the results, if your already using liquid laundry detergent you may be able to get by with just the re-proofing product, but i was told not to use powder detergent due to pore clogging in the gore-tex. I purchased mine at REI. The people there are not part of the hook and bullet crowd, none the less some of them have spent alot of time outdoors, and seemed knowledgable about the products. Overall rating 4.5-5 stars.

Back