Gloves, Shooting, and Sticky Safety - Help!

Deuce

I went up north this weekend to chase Mr. Ruff. It's quite cold in northern WI now, and I bought a pair of lined deer skin gloves to keep my hands warm. They're pliable enough that I can manipulate my fingers well and fit in the trigger guard.

However, I experienced a problem, that I also had 2 weeks ago pheasant hunting with cotton jersey gloves.

Bird flushes and I go to mount my O/U and fire. I feel the trigger squeeze and it doesn't fire. It's almost as if there is creep in the trigger but it hits a wall and won't release the firing pin. I have only experienced this hunting with gloves on. My thought, especially after attempting to replicate the issue, is that with gloves on my flip of the safety is delayed and I'm pulling the trigger as it's disengaging, essentially sticking the safety/trigger. I found that if I'm pulling the trigger while pushing the safety forward at the same time it sticks.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? This is maddeningly frustrating. The only grouse we saw this weekend flushed my way and I could even fire a round.

Don't you try to move the safety as the gun is coming up to your shoulder/cheek? That's how I've always done it. I have still occasionally
missed dis-engaging it and couldn't fire, especially with gloves.

safety failure

This is what I would recommend, insert 2 EMPTY hulls in your o/u for firing pin protection, close your action, and practice switching off the safety while mounting the shotgun. Follow thru with squeezing the trigger for each barrel. Try doing this with your gloves on as well. If your firing pins won't engage, you may have to take your shotgun to a gunsmith to be checked out. I think that you're pushing the safety off and pulling the trigger at the same time. If this is the case, hopefully the safety mechanism isn't damaged. Good luck.

Back