Glass bedding over-under shotguns

AKSkeeter

I have a friend who specializes in building fine stocks.
He always glass-beds over unders.
Last year I met up with him in eastern Montana for our annual hunt.
He looked at my 40 year old Citori and told me I should have it bedded.
I did not. The next month I slipped on ice and cracked the stock exactly where he said the can crack.
Where the stock is mated to the receiver the wood can be ~1/4 inch thick.
cracked_stock.jpg
S & S in Polson, Montana installed a new stock for me and they glass bedded it. They told me they always glass bed their stocks.

I'm puzzled as to why you think glass bedding wd have prevented the break.

I glass-bed every rifle I want to be accurate, but have never bedded a shotgun stock. I have always thot it was a gimmick in shotguns.

Don't tell Mike I said that, though. ;)

I'm puzzled as to why you think glass bedding wd have prevented the break.

I glass-bed every rifle I want to be accurate, but have never bedded a shotgun stock. I have always thot it was a gimmick in shotguns.

Don't tell Mike I said that, though. ;)
If you have an over/under, take the stock off from the receiver and look at how thin the sides are where
the wood is mated to the receiver. A crack along the grain there would be strengthened by epoxy
glass bedding that fills the wood pores.

Or talk to Mike at S & S who specializes in fine shotgun stock work.

I'd worry more about how to make sure I don't slip and fall on ice again. I'm sure bedding helps a bit, I just doubt it will prevent many breaks that result from falling with your gun. I'm in my 65th year of hunting with shotguns. If I ever have one's stock break I will reconsider going to the trouble of bedding.

I have a friend who specializes in building fine stocks.
He always glass-beds over unders.
Last year I met up with him in eastern Montana for our annual hunt.
He looked at my 40 year old Citori and told me I should have it bedded.
I did not. The next month I slipped on ice and cracked the stock exactly where he said the can crack.
Where the stock is mated to the receiver the wood can be ~1/4 inch thick.
View attachment 7388
S & S in Polson, Montana installed a new stock for me and they glass bedded it. They told me they always glass bed their stocks.
That was a clean break. I had one like that once on a Fox. My Smith glued it back together with epoxy. I've used it for 10 years since.

I know of many guys that glass in their LC Smith side plates. They are well know for stress cracking right behind the rear of the side plate.

Back