Gettysburg, SD

Hello,

I am planning on heading to Gettysburg, SD at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone has ever hunted in that area and/or could recommend some places to stay for the week??

It appears to be located within driving distance of several good areas but was looking for some information and feedback.

Thanks

The Trails End Gettysburg is clean but not fancy. Has spot to clean birds and freezers. Only eating place is the FireHouse.

We are hunting my buddies in-laws ranch in
gettysburg next week, I will report back for you.

Just back from there, very good hunt. Had to get West of Ipswich to get out of the water and have some of the crops down.

We are hunting near Onida, Gettysburg and Agar right now. Hunted yesterday and today (Saturday the 21st). Most crops are still in the field, but they are harvesting like crazy to take advantage of the warm dry conditions. A lot of the hunting depends on if you have good dogs or not. If you have good dogs then the walkin ares are good, as well as WPAs and other fields. With just okay dogs then I would concentrate on field edges and ditches. With no dogs I would hunt nothing but ditches. We have good dogs and hunt a variety of stuff but the ditches wind up working the best for us. I even shot two birds off of my 15-yr old lab this morning. With a group of 2-4 we put one guy and one dog out at an interesection with good cover and then drive around to the end and drop somebody off to walk another mile. Do this enough times and you will get all your birds. This strategy works anywhere in SD since it is legal to hunt the right of way along roads. Usually we just find dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere and it works well. We also like WPAs, especially if the weather is nasty or it is snowing. Right now there is no snow at all and all the fields are open. Most of the birds we have killed have been loafing on field edges, especially those with cut wheat. Corn produces birds too, but if isn't cut then they can run a long ways before they flush.

We like to hunt new areas every time we come but we have found this general area north of Pierre to the ND border to be pretty good and doesn't seem to have many people hunting it.

The weather has been good and should be really nice tommorow, but then it changes. We usually have better luck in good weather, but if it is snowing it can be incredible. The long-range forcast is calling for good weather after Thanksgiving. Let me know how you do--good luck.

Mark

Just got back from the Java area, great hunting and super nice people. Crop, mainly corn, are still in the field, walk in areas had lots of birds, but where flushing pretty wild.
Peter

We had a change of plans and ended up hunting north of Winner near Ideal, it was great three weeks ago and great last week. I don't mind working for my birds and heck, you have to when it's just two guys and a dog cause there ain't no hemming them in.

Back