Getting tougher, but still fun!

mstand

Jim and I went back up North for a hunt. First place we hit we had pretty much to ourselves. There was a truck from WI. there, but that was it.
The bird count there was down for sure, but we still got into some. The first bird contact reminded me of Nstrics in his post. We saw the dog working, I was watching the old dog as the grass was moving, it appeared like a bird was running. Just before that 2 hens erupted. As I watched the grass move I heard my husband comment about a bird must be running in front of him. (it was the dog he just couldnt see her).I told him it was just Abby. About then, a rooster erupted and we got caught watching.:eek: That was rooster number one.
Then, nature called about 30 minutes later. Now, without being to detailed, I have a lot of cloths to shed to get the deed done. I try to get the dogs back and around so that nothing happens while we are not prepared. So, I get it done, and am suiting back up and I notice Max is tracking.................not long and a rooster erupts!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. There have been about 3 of these this year so far. At this pint I am thinking about diapers.:p Rooster 2.
LAter on a ways Abby is working and we get another rooster up. He was maybe a little far but when your wife is yelling "get em, Get em" I think that puts a little pressure on a guy.:eek: Jim hits the rooster and it glides to the ground, not good!:(
Looks like Abb has a mark and max aswell. But Max heads east and Abby heads North! Soon after Max bumps up a rooster and Abby is a good 200 yards on my Garmin.
I track North after Abby and I find a drop of blood about the size of a dime on some grass............a rooster blood trail. I head up the hill to get a visual on Abby. When I get there I see a hunter in the distance and Abby high tailing it back to me. This is very strange to me. She would never give up a track. My only explanation was that the hunter possibly shoed her away from him and his dog.
I talk with Jim for a few and ask what he wants to do. We decided to just continue on. But in the direction that Abby cme from.
We continue on for about 100 yards and the pup, Baja, begins to track. I just kind of glanced at her and kept going..........until she began to hop and move sporadically in the grass..........SHe located the downed rooster!!
I put MAx down so he didnt crowd the pup and I encouraged her to bring it to me. We were very pleased with the pups. In total this was a 400 plus yard recovery of this rooster.

next place we went we have done well at aswell. But today it was tough. We walked for 3 1/2 hours kicking up an occasional hen.
Then the last push, the last 10 minutes Jim put up a rooster that was maybe 10 ft in front of him. He swung on it and he couldnt get the saftey off. The rooster was coming right at me, doing the areal dance of indecision in which way to go. As it went over my head I took a panicked shot that was a waste. One more shot yielded the same results. The bird will live to fly another day

One interesting thing I noted today was not one of the rooster that flew today cackled. I have had one or two do this, but never every bird???

Here is a picture of Jim with the pup Baja and the old girl Abby(head tilted)
Plus a bonus picture of Baja showing how much she like her picture taken.

jimab_zps9a8e8b8d.jpg

crazybaja_zps7448df39.jpg

Thanks Guys.
Managed to get one more today. But they ar making me work for them.
max_zpsf790665f.jpg

Back