Getting started in Colorado

bowhunter

Hey all, some great information on this site!

I'm new to hunting and I'm using a compound bow, live in Boulder, CO. I got my first Tom last spring, then was in a car accident so I'm not able to hunt big game this year.

Now that I'm able to shoot my bow and hike some I wanted to hunt grouse. I'm reading about habitat etc and wanted to get some guidance on where to go.
My understanding with grouse is they generally don't fly very far so I can shoot then with a bow after they land.

Any information for a beginner, with out a dog, would be great thanks!

I'm also interested in pheasant hunting in the future, probably with a gun

Hey all, some great information on this site!

I'm new to hunting and I'm using a compound bow, live in Boulder, CO. I got my first Tom last spring, then was in a car accident so I'm not able to hunt big game this year.

Now that I'm able to shoot my bow and hike some I wanted to hunt grouse. I'm reading about habitat etc and wanted to get some guidance on where to go.
My understanding with grouse is they generally don't fly very far so I can shoot then with a bow after they land.

Any information for a beginner, with out a dog, would be great thanks!

I'm also interested in pheasant hunting in the future, probably with a gun

Welcome to the forum. Those dusky grouse (formerly called blue grouse) in the CO mountains are akin to barnyard chickens. If you see some, you'll have immediate shots; no need to flush them into a tree. If they do flush, they usually go farther than a nearby tree anyway. A good way to hunt them is to drive along logging roads and Nat. For. auto trails in the a.m. and p.m. They'll be along the trails. Good luck.

Back