Getting ready

Mosby

I really enjoy this time of year. The season is right around the corner and I'll be putting my Vizsla is some fall hunt tests, doing a bunch of training for both me and the dogs and I decided it was time to clean up and get my stuff organized. Too hot to do much else anyway..

-I cleaned out my dog kennels and washed the pads and let everything air out.
-Washed my trucks rear seat cover and got a years worth of dog hair and mud out of it.
-Washed out the bed of my truck and got rid of last years dirt and dust. Why put clean kennels in a filthy truck bed, right?
-I reorganized all my electronic collars, chargers, extra antenna's etc. and put a fresh charge on everything. Made sure everything is working.
-Soaked my leashes and check cords in hot soapy water to clean them up and disinfect them a bit.
-Updated the software and maps on my Garmin 71 that I use in the truck.
-Got my eyes checked and getting new glasses for the season. Mine are pretty chewed up.
-Updated the PLB that I carry hunting. I'm by myself most of the time and a PLB is my back up plan, if I can't get back to the truck.
-Got a new phone too. Mine was old.

I've been restocking my ammo and I'm planning on doing some patterning next week and will clean my shotguns really well when I'm done. The biggest thing left is to do some shooting and getting myself and the dogs in shape.

I have a 2010 crew cab pickup with 100k miles.
I pulled out the back seat to make more room as I hunt solo 99% of the time.
That way I can put a dog box inside if it is hot on a Sept hun hunt or cold after hunting waterfowl in January.
I also recharged the AC system.

Dogs and human are in good shape.
Been retriever training with an amateur group every weekday so the labs are in pretty good shape.
I start in early Sept with huns every weekday at dawn, starting in 2 hour hunts and gradually lengthen the duration
as the dog's feet toughen up.
I hike for 4 hours every other day and do reverse lunges on non-hiking days.
If it is too hot, I bike at dawn for an hour in low gear.
At 67 years old, fitness is a high priority.

Kids went back to college this week so now I’m fixing to tackle the list of things to get ready for a few road trips that are scheduled in October.

I put together a pack list a couple years and I find the hardest part is locating the items that inevitably get scattered around the house after hunting season ends.

At this point in my life, planning and packing gear is part of the fun for me. As I go through my field bag, every piece of gear brings back a memory from prior hunts.

Gonna load up a case of shells, wash the kennel mats and covers, get the vehicle cleaned out and tuned up.

Back