Fresh snow for a great morning hunt

remy3424

I started today by pushing and blowing snow from the driveway and neighbors sidewalks. The snow had quit by 5:00, we received close to 3" I am guessing. Finished that and we headed-out only a few minutes late. Decent temps and clear skys. Had a few places with some heavy cover picked-out to try with the fresh snow cover. Had some birds that were really dug-in and really hard to flush. My buddy and I each got 2 and we headed home around noon. My Mrs called on my way home and told me the pup really needed to get some exercise. So I got home, picked him up and headed back out. We hit some filter strips on one of my father's farms, looked like my brother's dog had hunted it already (it kind of runs through it at will, likely several times a day). I wasn't expecting much but I did load-up, just in-case. A couple hundred yards in, the little fella had slowed down, he sure is not afraid of deep cover. A rooster broke out and headed back toward me, I dropped him after he passed me, shooting a little low, but he hit the ground and I could see him running down a wheel track. I really thought about putting another one at him (I normally discourage this) as I knew the dog was behind me yet, well that didin't happen. The little dog went screaming by me having seen the bird fall. I followed down the tire track and find the pup in a small raspberry thicket, getting after something...he had the rooster! Still not sure if he saw the bird cross out to that thicket in front of him or if he smelled him. Anyway, his first flush & recovery and my limit filled for the day. I might have to keep him. One more note, that rooster's thigh bone (femur?) was shattered and a ton of hemorrhaging. The breast was also full of blood...that bird had crazy survival instinct. Maybe I need to start taking the pup with me on our regular hunts....guessing he will just want to play with Rowdy, my buddy's dog....who was also great today. Another great morning, as most that I pheasant hunt are!
My pics are lame, but all I have.
20211211_115637.jpg20211211_144448.jpg

Nice hunt always like getting out on that first snow of the year and getting after them , makes this 56 year old feel like I was back in high school hunting birds .

Keep feeding that pup !!!

Still trying to get my legs back from 2 and a half weeks of laying on my back (pushed a disk out, getting better w/o a surgery, about 90% now). Not much strength or stamina, it sure doesn't take long to lose your conditioning at this age (57). I would have felt a little more like the HS kid if I didn't have to deal with the fresh snow prior to hunting!

Try doing it at 65. Took the springer out this morning, saw quite a few birds but only 1 rooster stayed put long enough for a flush and a shot. Dumped him right in the middle of a creek so i got to carry a soaking wet bird in my vest for the 1/2 mile back to the truck.20211212_112849.jpg

I got out with my dogs and my Dad to enjoy the first snow. Birds were holding tight! Out of 30 birds, we only saw 2 roosters. I dropped one and Dad missed the other. It was very encouraging to see those hen numbers though. Hoping for some colder temps so we can hunt the cattails more effectively.

Back